Why do renters install

Why do renters install those chain door lock gizmos so you can open the door 2 inches and peek out? It would be one thing if they put them only on outside doors but over and over when tenants move out I find them on inside doors. Don't they know who they are living with and need to check before opening the bedroom door?

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

Because they dont feel safe and now if you need access you have a problem, I dont allow them and remove them.

Reply to
ransley

Put in the lease that holes cannot be drilled in doors and door jambs under penalty of repair costs.

Reply to
nielloeb

the home I live in was a rental for awhile. wierdly someone installed a chain lock for the door to under the cellar steps. never did understand that.

maybe someone was looking for a safe area from a drunk or other abuser?

Reply to
hallerb

Some people are modesty psychotics.

Reply to
Claude Hopper

Let the pet go downstairs but not the baby?

Reply to
J. Clarke

no the door is just a partial closet under the steps, not high enough to even stand in, a tiny box with the chain lock inside

Reply to
hallerb

Those are held in place by no more than 1" screws, and that screwed into half inch trim. They don't hold up to a kick, or a shoulder. And then the jamb is ripped to shreds.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

What the chain on the inside of the outside?

Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

I take it you are referring only to "keyed chain door locks", and not the "unkeyed" ones.

If it's "unkeyed" ones, are you saying the problem is that you don't have access when someone is inside and you announce yourself but they still won't let you in?

If that's the case I think you may need to remove the tenants, and not just those unkeyed chain locks.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

My wife always make me make sure the chain is on when we go to bed. We have a dead bolt lock too. But, she insists we need the extra security. Like if the dead bolt fals us the chain lock is sure to save us.

BR

Reply to
Big Bubba

Someday knock on the front door.When the wife opens it, with the chain in place, reach in with the bolt cutters and snip it in half.

She'll hate you forever.

Reply to
HeyBub

Like somebody else pointed out, almost all chain locks are only mounted with crappy little soft screws, usually just into the trim on the inside of the doorframe. A hard shove will tear them out of the trim. Hotels do a little better in recent years, especially with those metal loop locks that flip over a post lagged into the doorframe. I have used real screws into something solid for a few relatives that insisted on having chain locks, but the weak point does then indeed become the chain.

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

aemeijers wrote in news:8LF_k.57564$ snipped-for-privacy@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net:

Next time I'm in a hotel I think I'll bring my tool bad and get me one!

Reply to
Red Green

No, just unkeyed ones. They put them on bedroom doors. Why would you need one on the bedroom in your own house????

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

No need to go to jail- Google 'swing bar door guard' for pictures and vendors. I was remembering incorrectly- the post goes on the door, not the jamb side. Most of the pictures showed the same crappy little screws as the chain latches, though, so be prepared to find real ones. Like most door hardware, I suspect 'trade only' vendors that don't show up in Google and only sell to locksmiths, may have better ones.

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

To keep Uncle Nasty from visiting during the night.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

If you hear someone breaking in the front door, having a chain on your bedroom door also could give you a little more time to call 9-1-1.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

To keep out nosey landlords.

Reply to