Why do renters install

More like, give me a little more time to load the gun...

Reply to
Doug Miller

Because they're renters. That's what renters do.

Dogs bark, babies cry; renters are not normal humans.

They also collect, and leave behind, several hundred empty, giant-sized, Tide detergent boxes.

Reply to
HeyBub

Reply to
Oren

Another experienced Landlord are you?

It is a toss-up between the fast food bags and the tide boxes.

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt

If the door doesn't have a button type lock on the door knob, I'd say it was just for privacy.

Reply to
Bonnie Jean

We're talking about hooks on the OTHER side of the door.

Reply to
HeyBub

Yes. I abandoned the project.

Some years later, I got into another snit with my (business) landlord, whose name was Satan, and bought my own building for the company. I've been delirious ever sense.

My son, who was twelve at the time, made $52.00 carrying back empty pop bottles to the grocery store as we reconditioned the rental property. I tried and tried to conjure up some connection between diet Dr. Pepper and Tide detergent, but finally gave up.

Reply to
HeyBub

If you've ever been asleep in your room when someone broke into your home you could answer that question yourself.

Reply to
Larry W

i think renters get to believing they own or can install whatever they want after a while. .... its neverending

ds549

Heh! An old law schoolmate of mine put his extra money into rental property. He told me one renter put up a six-foot cedar fence around the back yard.

"What did you do?" I asked.

"I raised his rent $20.00/month," said my lawyer friend. "I convinced him the property was worth more now that it had a fence!"

This, among others, is one reason I opted to not pursue a legal career.

Reply to
HeyBub

Basic property law- permanently installed improvements become the property of the landlord, absent agreement to the contrary. I have improved rental properties I occupied at times, but it was cheap stuff, and with landlord's permission. It was worth it to me at the time, even knowing I would have to leave it behind. (Shelves and that sort of thing, mainly.) Landlord with the new fence was out of line- you raise the rent for the NEXT tenant, not for the guy that was nice to you. THAT is basic Karma law.

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net wrote in news:8995-493D39D9-1508@storefull-

3253.bay.webtv.net:

A house a few doors down kept being sold and resold. We thought the new people owned the place. When they moved, they took the above ground swimming pool and the shed. We saw them dismantling it. Later on there was an article in the newspaper that when this renter moved out, he stole lots of stuff. He left a big hole in the yard where the pool was. If the property owner had told one of us neighbors he was renting the house, we would have called the police when we saw the stuff being removed. We don't know what was stolen from inside the home.

Reply to
RobertPatrick

That's funny. Mine left behind some blue plastic buckets that their laundry soap came in. When I first saw them I thought "Why all teh buckets".

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

heck, most of the time they put an outside door key lock on the dang bedroom doors. Sometimes there's a keyed lock on the bedroom door and another keyed lock on the bathroom door that's inside teh bedroom.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

One renter I had held a yard sale when he moved out. I later discovered some of the stuff he sold was things like the outside door lamps, the electric outlet for the dryer and other stupid small stuff like that.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

So the kid doesn't barge in while parents are in bed making love or just naked.

Or so an assailent who gained entrance can be slowed down while a call is made to 911.

Reply to
AZ Nomad

=BDLater on there

my dad had a tenant who left in the middle of the night, behind on rent he ripped out all the copper plumbing, tore the copper wiring and switches out of walls, light fixtures gone too.

basically stripped home of anything of value, including the service entrance cable and breaker box.

it cost thousands to repair, my dad sold the home soon after

Reply to
hallerb

Oh, don't be silly. One good solid shove or kick, and the screws pull right out of the trim. Those things are useless. All they provide is a false sense of security, and absolutely *no* real protection.

Reply to
Doug Miller

I wouldn't disagree with anything you said, except that it is the renter, not me (in this case) who was silly. People install these things because it gives them a greater sense of security. Their efficiency in that regard is another matter. Certainly a surface mount dead bolt would be more effective but still something that the average renter could install herself.

Reply to
Larry W

Yeah, but most of those mess up the door and the casing worse than a chain bolt, so be glad few people are ambitious enough to install them. (Unless you find an offset one, most require chiseling and drilling.)

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers