Why 6 and 12 point sockets?

Pipe plugs are what we use them for mostly. And driving taps in tight places.

Reply to
Steve Barker

Six point sockets are often used on chrome plated bolts, such as those used on motorcycles, because they cause less damage.

Reply to
Karl S

And with big bolts, even a 12 isn't going to strip the head unless it is tighter than anything I've had. With little bolts, even a girl could strip the head with a 12, but not with a 6.

With a 6, one might "super-torque" the whole head off, but at least he won't ruin the head.

Reply to
mm

Most people have enough reading skills to be able to tell the difference.

Reply to
AZ Nomad

Ok so pay a visit to a Farm Supply dealer ..OR any good Auto Store...

Bob G.

Reply to
Bob G.

There are 12 point bolts. Ford has used them as head bolts and for some other applications for example. If you run into one and have only 6 point sockets you will be out of luck.

Reply to
DB

If they can't tell giberish from good information on google they won't be able to do it one on one either.

Reply to
DB

Also some bolts actually have 12 point heads, like certain ARP engine fasteners. I prefer using 6 points for general work, but there is a definite place for 12 points in my toolbox.

nate

snipped-for-privacy@nomail.com wrote:

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Such is life. Of course you will find it, in near perfect condition. just 3 days after you find a replacement.

Reply to
Avery

Note that grandpa said "square bolts" not square head.

Jim [I like the square bolts as they're easier to chase threads on with a

3cornered file.]
Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

Note that the shape of the *shaft* of the bolt has nothing to do with what type of socket fits on the *head*.

Reply to
Doug Miller