Whole House Fan vs ?

yes, my bedroom window and kitchen door

Reply to
Malcom "Mal" Reynolds

Try kindergarten again. Your comprehension sucks.

Maybe you need to go back even further.

Reply to
krw

not at all.

don't try projection on me

Reply to
Malcom "Mal" Reynolds

I had a whole house fan (36") for about 15 years in a previous house and liked it very much.

There are a number of gotchas of course:

  1. If the nights are *not* cool then you are just moving hot air but if they are cool then you can cool your house off in 10 minutes or so in the evening. They are not of much use during the hot daylight hours. If your climate is damp and/or pollen prone whole house AC may be a better choice.
  2. If you decide to go the whole house fan route get a belt driven model. Eventually the motor will go and just replacing the motor is easier and cheaper than replacing the entire unit. Get one that has a motor rated for a rheostat for a wide range of speed adjustment as they can be noisy at high speed and mostly useless at low speed. Every house is different.
  3. Build an insulated hinged box (that is easy to get to) to cover it in cold weather as it will leak heat like you wouldn't believe.
  4. Attic ventilation is key and should be based on the house square footage not the fan's CFM. Its been probably 30 years since I researched this so don't take my word for it but ventilation area needs to be really large, something like 1/4 or 1/3 the square footage of the house. I ended up ventilating about 1/2 of both gable ends. That is a *lot* of cutting and vents so do take the cost, bother and view from the street of this retrofit into the equation. Try to space the vents as equally as possible on either end of the house to cool the entire attic rather than just one end. One hot end of the attic will definitely be felt downstairs. I didn't have a ridge vent as they weren't common then (at least in SW PA). I am not so sure that they would be a good thing as attic insulation would tend to cool off slower using radiation rather than air blowing across it.

HTH, John

Reply to
John

Yes, *all*.

No, you really need remedial reading. Your comprehension sucks.

Reply to
krw

The quiet ones tend to be belt driven, at lower rpm. You usually have to insulate and seal it for winter. I got around that building an upper box and door. The one I have and the old one were too noisy. I don't like to run it, maybe for a few minutes. I have been known to turn it on high, and get my stihl gas blower, and dust the house out. I still want to instal a lower cfm Panasonic. If your satisfied with what you have, don't do it.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

I'm most of the opinion to take your last line as appropriate advice

Reply to
Malcom "Mal" Reynolds

Sounds like Chevy Chase in Caddy Shack....

Reply to
trader4