Whole house "battery" wiring/power...

Bill wrote:

http://www.wirelessmicrocolorcam.com/estore/popup_image.php?pIDG&osCsid e4daf8d5319ed8efaa7a77410624ea
Pretty impractical because there is a single point of failure.
You can consolidate a lot of it for a good start. For example in our house we have an alarm panel which powers all of the smoke and CO alarms and of course the security system.
What does a phone answering machine do?

A more practical solution would be special J boxes that have the transformers in them and are sensitive to loads being plugged/ unplugged and cut off power to the primary when not in use. Everyone hates wall warts, they draw a little current even when not in use. Your electrician would then install these low voltage outlets easily throughout the house. The important thing is that they be able to detect "no load" and cut off the primary, and sense an item being plugged in or turned on and re-connect the transformer primary. Your whole house DC distribution idea would not be able to do this because it has to be "ready" globally with no local outlet control sensors.
windcrest wrote:

There is no reason that could not be designed into wall-warts. I've never measured the quiescent primary current draw of old style wall-warts verses the newer tiny switcher wall-warts, I'm sure someone has done so. I think your idea is great for office cubicles because it could be built in during manufacturing and would help lead to a less cluttered work space, at least for some people.
TDD

This could have been a very interesting thread if it were not for the few insecure nerds/geeks who think they have to prove something about their engineering prowess, and just wind up looking like a person with drastic insecurity issues.
I did however offer a marketable solution to your proposal, if you can find it somewhere in this mess.
Few others of these supposedly "illustrious" engineers actually offered anything worthwhile from what I can see.
Too bad.