Whole house "battery" wiring/power...

On Sat, 10 Oct 2009 20:56:24 -0500, The Daring Dufas

See, you're always as wrong as AlwaysWrong.

Ohh, you must swing a mean mop.

Don't worry. I don't want your job, dummy.
krw wrote:

Sorry Superman, you couldn't handle it. FLNF
TDD
On Sun, 11 Oct 2009 13:34:45 -0500, The Daring Dufas

I already told you ,Darling Dufus, I don't do mops or work inside septic tanks. In particular, I don't want your job where they go together.
krw wrote:

How nice for you, neither do I. Try harder.
TDD
On Sun, 11 Oct 2009 15:51:11 -0500, The Daring Dufas

But you have no choice. I understand; it's difficult for the mentally infirm to find employment.
krw wrote:

(snip)
So what does FLNF stand for? Google was clueless.
-- aem sends, slightly curious....

Finger Lakes National Forrest? Who knows with the Darling Dufus.
aemeijers wrote:

Funny Little Nose Fart, it's the sound you make when you laugh with your mouth closed. Then there is FLNFWSp, which is Funny Little Nose Fart With Spray. It happens when you see an intellectual post from krw and you have a mouthful of your preferred beverage.
TDD
krw wrote:

It's a shame you're in such bad shape. I'm sure there are some county or faith based organizations that could help you. Folks in your condition deserve at the very least a chance and a hand up.
TDD

While I don't condone is attitude, he is absolutely correct. MHz switchers are common, have been in the field for years, and by the demands for miniaturization are getting more common all the time. If you don't believe me, pop open your PC, cell phone, PDA, etc and put a scope on one of the DC-DC converters. Also with many of these chips, the switching frequency is fixed and is not something the engineer has a choice of. The duty cycle varies to regulate the output.
This is not something you'll find in the line operated power supply, but applications like CPU core voltage which may have to supply less than 2V at 50-80+ Amps (no, that's not a typo) from a 12V source where board space is a valuable commodity, or applications needing extreme miniaturization demand this sort of thing.
James Sweet wrote:

Thanks, I just looked at the products available from:
http://www.maxim-ic.com /
I've used their other products for years but I was not aware of their switching regulator chips. The original discussion concerned "SIMPLE" DC power supplies and some jerk chimed in calling everyone stupid, etc. My experience has been with the switching power supplies in computers and test gear which is what I thought the discussion was about. I've never seen one of those running at 1Mhz or more. A tiny regulator on a card or motherboard running at 1Mhz or more is something new to me. Heck, I learn something new everyday.
TDD
On Sat, 10 Oct 2009 20:51:14 -0500, The Daring Dufas

Only because you (and DimBulb) *ARE* stupid, stupid.
BTW stupid, you don't get much simpler than a (part of a) chip, inductor, capacitor, and two resistors.

Stupid, Sweet just said they're used in the core supplies of PCs. Though I suppose actually reading what people write is a bit beyond you.

Engage brain before mouth, stupid.
krw wrote:

Oh yea, I forgot, you talk out the other end. FLNF
TDD
On Sun, 11 Oct 2009 13:35:31 -0500, The Daring Dufas

You _are_ always wrong, just like ALwaysWrong. Are you related, just lovers, or perhaps both?

Just because you've never seen it doesn't mean it doesn't exist or is not in common use. Here's your citation, note that the article is dated 2002.
http://www.maxim-ic.com/view_press_release.cfm/release_id/586
"SMALLEST, 3V INPUT, 1MHz, 92% EFFICIENT DC-DC STEP-DOWN DELIVERS 10A"
So these are not off-line SMPS, but so what? They're still switchmode power supplies by definition. TI and several others have similar parts. It is very likely you have one right in front of you supplying the core voltage to the CPU in your computer.
James Sweet wrote:

That is so cool, I still haven't come across one yet, that I know of. Now I know what to look for. I'll have to look at the motherboards of several of my computers. According to the date of the article, the things have been around for a while.
TDD
On Sat, 10 Oct 2009 10:33:43 -0700, Archimedes' Lever

AlwaysWrong strikes again.
One example, at random: LTC3555 three buck regulators, each 2.25MHz.
http://www.linear.com/pc/productDetail.jsp?navId=H0,C1,C1003,C1037,C1773,P37856

I'd be surprised if yours *worked*, DimBulb.

Our power supply company survived after 911, a time when several hundred other companies failed.
Those supplies were and are in a lot of the things you use because we were OEMers for hundreds of companies as well.
You're an idiot, KeithTard.
Also, regardless of what the max frequency a regulator *can* operate at, that does not mean that they get designed to operate there.
Folks engineer a supply on the bench, and the final most efficient frequency a design runs at my not be the original estimation. I would not expect you to get it though.
No... NONE of our units ran that fast. Magnetics tends to get inefficient at passing power at too high a frequency. Our HV supplies may have had switcher front ends, but they typically had a transformer driven final feeding the multiplier stage. Most all were <100kHz.
On Sat, 10 Oct 2009 15:40:43 -0700, Archimedes' Lever

DimBulb, if it survived *you* I'd be surprised.

At least I know something about switching supplies, AlwaysWrong. ...and I don't even work in the area.

DimBulb, that *IS* the frequency it operates at. It's a constant frequency regulator, as are most these days.

Idiot.
Wrong again, as usual, AlwaysWrong.

That's exactly it. 400Hz power has been standard in aircraft for many decades. Not only are the transformers smaller and lighter, but the generators and motors too, and the filter capacitors in power supplies.
It's the reason switchmode power supplies run in the tens of kHz, and some small ones are running as high as 1MHz. As the frequency increases, switching losses in the semiconductors increase, but the size of the energy storage components (inductors, transformers, capacitors) decreases. A 60Hz transformer capable of supplying 300W might 15 lbs, but a 20kHz transformer capable of the same power is less than a pound and far more compact.