Whirlpool, Kenmore, won't agitate, spin, or drain, Wigwag, with Belt

Whirlpool, Kenmore, won't agitate, spin, or drain, Wigwag, with belt

Will fill, belt good, very tight

>You might get lucky popping the clips off and looking inside. It could >>be anything. Then look at the belt. Make sure you didn't cook a >>bruise or two in it if the pump jammed. One of those bolts that has it >>trapped has a bare metal looking spacer. Take out that bolt (only) >>unplug the wigwag and the belt comes out.

I'm finally spending some time on this.

The belt is not broken. In fact it seems tighter than ever.

When the machine is on, it rumbles, the rumble is stronger when I put my hand on the side of the motor, but the belt doesn't turn. (and of course it doesn't do anthing but fill. No spin, agitate, or drain.)

The basket won't move when I try to move it with my hands. Usually it will, in fact before I tightened the belt a couple years ago, I would start it spinning this way.

The agitator does move when I move it with my hands. It's actually loose, up to a point.

So it's jammed, and that's likely becaue of the .... ????

The pump? The pump is jammed? What else could jam it?

It's not the main bearing or any bearing because I did a whole load a half hour earlier.

I can't yet see 100% if the motor is turning because the pulley is behind a shield, and I haven't got a good view yet. But it's making a roar, almost.

Some of the fixit webpages say the wigwag solenoid is broken, but is there a way it could break so that it will neither agitate, spin, nor drain? It seems like it would still do one of these, just not be able to change which one. Yeah, Wikipedia says the same thing, "One of the wig-wag's solenoids is turned on to engage agitation during wash mode; the other solenoid is turned on to engage the spin-dry mode. .... Only one solenoid may be operated at a time. When neither solenoid is engaged, the transmission is in neutral and only the pump is operating to drain water out of the tub. "

So if one solenoid or the wire is broken, it won't agitate, and if it's the other, it won't spin, but if it won't do one of those, during that part of the timer cycle, it should still drain . Right?

>>>jamming it tho and that will break an old belt. >>>>I would diagnose it a bit more before I blindly started throwing parts >>>>at it. >>> >>>You're right. I think there was a short time when it was runnnig but >>>not draining, and I know it squealed for 5 seconds, too high to be the >>>main bearing and I'm sure it's not the motor, so I centered on the pump. >>> >>>I turned it off and on and it worked for 5 minutes and then stopped >>>altogether. It will fill but nothing else. >>> >>>It's also not spinning and the basket won't turn by hand either. >>> >>>Rather than fully reevalutate, I guess I concluded the pump was jammed >>>and the belt on the jammed pump was keeping the basket from turning. >>> >>>I will get behind it or turn it over and start looking more. > >Sometimes those transmissions leak if you turn it on it's side. Watch >it for a few minutes before you walk away.

Will do. Thanks.

Usually leaning it on the dryer (use a towel) at a 45 works just fine. >Sit on the floor.
Reply to
micky

Unplug it and see if you can turn it around by hand. If the motor is running and the belt isn't moving, something is jammed or the pulley on the motor is loose. Be careful with it plugged in. That belt will eat fingers if you get tangled up.

Reply to
gfretwell