GE washer won't spin or agitate

Hi, all. I've searched the newsgroup archives, read through repairclinic.com and american-appliance.com, but can't figure out where to focus our attention. I was hoping that someone here might be able to help narrow the search.

We have a GE washer that's about 8 years old, model WNXR2100T. It fills and it drains, but it doesn't agitate or spin. The belt is not broken and doesn't appear worn.

The motor IS getting juice, as when we turn it to spin (and disconnect the power to the pump motor so as to minimize competing noise), we can hear the motor humming quietly. When it is humming, the belt does not spin. We can turn the belt manually, at least in one direction. The other direction it moves only a bit, but I assume that that is by design.

We're in the boonies, where repair techs are hard to come by, so we generally do repairs ourselves whenever possible. Thanks for any suggestions or wisdom. I'm lacking in both!

Reply to
Julie

That leaves about 200 other possible problems.

See above.

If you've ever seen a schematic for these washers, they are crazily complicated. You probably will have to bite the bullet and call someone out to fix it.

Reply to
Peter