Dragging a body?

alt.law.enforcement

Or ask your local fire house.

oren

Strange rules and a very light Dummy.

Probably stand between the legs, grab it by the ankles and pull. But the legs may be too short and a real person might smack their head.

If you've got an understanding wife or girlfriend you might try it out.

Reply to
Bill Stock

The idea about standing between the legs facing away and grabbing the ankles is my first choice. Or stand at the head area and facing away, grab the hands or wrists and start pulling them behind you.

Reply to
badgolferman

This isn't a troll post, and yes, it's OT. But, this is a compliment to this NG, because out of all the NG's I had subscribed to, this is one of the few I haven't unsubscribed. It's because this NG is filled with everyday people, with knowledge of the real world. Besides that, I don't know what other NG I would ask, and I've searched Google, but can't find my answer.

Here's the deal. I've been trying to get on with DOT for the past year (7 applications for different positions). I've finally got something back from them, to take a physical ability test (PAT). One of the events requires the candidate to DRAG an adult size rescue dummy for twenty-four feet. Any part of the rescue dummy's body may be used for the drag. However, the rescue dummy is NOT to be picked up, hoisted over candidates' shoulders, or carried. Also, candidates are NOT permitted to walk backwards to complete the drag. This is a timed completion event and to pass candidates are required to complete the drag in eleven (11) seconds, dragging the dummy completely past the "end" cone. The rescue dummy weighs approx. 100 lbs.

So, how would you drag the body?

Thanks!

Reply to
Dacore

just walk through a Walmart store to see how unrealistic is the weight of the dummy.

Reply to
rider89

clipped

Norminn

Only the government could come up with such a ridiculous test. It seems like a great way to filter out intelligent people who might question WHY one can't use sensible methods (pick body up, drag backwards).

Just grab an apendage and run.

Reply to
JohnH

I would think dragging by feet face down would be worst - face scratching.

Then dragging by feet face up - head might bounce up and down on rocks.

I think I would prefer to be dragged by my arms, then my head would be off the ground.

Suggest practicing all of the above on your wife. See which she prefers and which gets you the quickest time.

Reply to
Bill

I don't know but at the bottom of my newsreader it says.

"Retrieved 7 bodies for alt.home. repair" ? I must be doing it right.

Reply to
tnom

Reply to
Michael Baugh

Dragging the wife might also have added side learning benefits. eg, leaning how to reset your own compound fractures, and head lacerations, after she beats you senseless with a frying pan or pastry roller.

Reply to
Amun

Note the only carry suitable is the fireman's crawl. The OP stipulated that test said you could not go backwards.

IF you are treating this as a rescue situation, those limits are kinda crazy if you ask me.

The grab legs like a reverse wheelbarrow and run sounds the most promising.

A straddle of the chest facing the dummy's head with hands under shoulders and armpits seems like the least likely to damage a real person.

Perhaps the "real" test is to see how you would treat the victim?

Reply to
Philip Lewis

Since this "test" is so unrealistic it borders on a roadrunner cartoon, I would show up with a meat hook. Snag the dummy under the chin and run with it. You could also loop your belt around the neck.

If this is a real person you would pronbaly want to drag backward so you could be sure you are not making the injury worst. Best is on a blanket or poncho.

If there is no compelling reason to move the person (fire, flood or enemy attack) you should treat them where they are (start breathing, stop bleeding) and call the paramedics who know what they are doing (911). They are teaching a bad practice in making you think moving a victim is the first thing to do.

Reply to
gfretwell

You will want to ask this question in alt.firefighters. That evolution is part of the Candidate Physical Aptitude Test or CPAT.

-- Tom Horne

Well we aren't no thin blue heroes and yet we aren't no blackguards to. We're just working men and woman most remarkable like you.

Reply to
HorneTD

ive dragged light bodies by grabbing one wrist and taking off walking ,there is less to get in your way that way. very heavy bodies i grag by the ankles and take off,you can get the ankles in your armpits and the feet lock in pretty good ... medium weigh bodies i grab both wrists and take off because the head gets banged less. lucas

Reply to
ds549

These two requirements of the test are the hard part. Almost all of the suggestions involve picking up the body or draging it backwards.

The only way I can see to do it is to either grab the either wrists or the akles and drag. One of these ways may be better than the other.

Reply to
Cliff Hartle

Not sure... I'd probably just tie something around the neck and tie the other end to my 4x4 and give it a go.

Reply to
User Example

Reply to
Michael Baugh

Reply to
Goedjn

You've only got 11 seconds. I like the meathook idea.

Reply to
Goedjn