Whirlpool electric dryer - chattering sound

Hi. My whirlpool electric clothes dryer (model LEB600PQ1) has been progressively making more and more squeaks while running, and now makes a squeaking/chattering sound. Video with sound here:

you've had similar situation, can you advise what it might be? I'm very capable of dismantling and replacing a part or two, but not sure what to pre-order. You advice and experience is greatly appreciated. Many Thanks Tony

Reply to
milli...

I’d stop wondering what to pre-order and start dismantling. Do some troubleshooting first. It could be a bearing, a roller that supports the drum, a belt tensioner pulley, maybe even a shredded belt that’s flopping around.

Either order everything that moves or open the dryer up, hopefully in such a manner that you can run it while open. Does the back come off? The lower front panel? Does the top hinge upwards?

If it were me, I’d starting looking before I’d start ordering. Yes, I understand the possibility of being without a dryer or the need to put it back together, but as you indicated, it’s getting worse, so it’s time to get the tools out. IMO

P.S. just for fun, *after* I typed the above, I did a search for ‘chattering LEB600PQ1’

First hit…

Why is my dryer making a rattling noise? Main causes: bad drum support roller, damaged idler pulley, broken blower fan blade, worn drum glide bearing, ...

Reply to
Marilyn Manson

+1

Get everything washed and dried, then take it apart. If you need to do more before it's back together or a new one is obtained, most places there are coin laundries to use.

Reply to
trader_4

What do you mean "no sound on your video"?

The chattering is as clear as day.

Reply to
Marilyn Manson

As the OP, I just wanted to close the loop on this. I took dryer apart and was surprised that it was quite challenging to figure out which part was making the squeak/chattering. Everything seemed to echo inside the metal machine! But then we focused on the Dryer Drum Rollers as the probably culprit. Gave it a shot of all-purposed oil and it went very quiet. So I ordered new wheels and when arrived, removed the existing to find that one wheel had ground its center shaft into an oval. Replaced with new wheel and the dryer is as quiet as ever. Thank you so much to all of you and your suggestions. Regards, Theodore

Reply to
milli...