Which is the BEST exterior paint?

I need to paint my house this spring and I don't want to do it again for a long time!

Is there a paint which outlasts others?

Reply to
Sam O'Nella

When I had my house painted, I had them use Sherwin Williams 'Duration'.

Supposedly it has a lifetime warranty.

I doubt that I'd ever get reimbursed if I filed a claim..... but having said that it has held up quite well so far; but it was also applied to brand new siding.

Reply to
Matt

Preparation is much, much more important that the top coat.

Reply to
Travis Jordan

I second that! Tom Baker

Reply to
tbasc

It is all in the skill and preparation of the painter.

A hack can make the best paint look bad and peel.

How long did your last paint job last?

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt

not to mention, that 'warranty' will reimburse you the 20 bucks you spent on the can of paint. not the 500$ spent on having it painted, and having it repainted with the new 'free' paint.

as was mentioned, the top coat is probably the least important issue in a long lasting paint job.

randy

Reply to
xrongor

Years ago the warranty on the back of top rated paints, said the warranty only applied if the surface was cleaned, primed and two coated. I doubt that says that anymore as studies show most people only live in the same house for five to seven years. If you plan to be in the house for ten years or more I would wash, scrape, sand, caulk, prime, and paint two top coats, should last 15 to 20 years if applied right using any top quality paint. One final note Kilz is NOT an exterior product no matter who says so.

Reply to
The hooligan

Sherwin W Duration or Ben moore are good. But the single most thing to affect latex paint is painting when it is to hot out, painting a sun warmed surface or one that will be in the sun soon. Best is first in the morning paint the west side, East side after the sun passes. The chalenge is when to do the south side. Hot surfaces and sun curing will ruin latex paint. And of course there is the prep work. The problem is many painters like to be in the sun, you have to insure you have someone that will do it right.

Reply to
m Ransley

"One final note Kilz is NOT an exterior product no matter who says so".

Au Contraire! Kilz makes a range of exterior primers, as well as acrylic and thinner based interior primers.

Reply to
Roger T.

I think you get the general point from prior posters, Sam, that prep and drying conditions count for much more than paint brand. Within brands, I tend to go with the premium line, as they tend to have better or more pigment, e.g. hiding and flow-on characteristics. Totally agree with avoiding sun while applying, especially if is hot. We have had good luck with Sherman Wms, Ben Moore, and Kelly Moore (currently going on 13 yrs with only touchup needed), but highly focussed attention to wire brushing, sanding, caulking, and priming. Underlying siding material, extent of eaves overhang and hours exposure to sun/rain (e.g. orientation of wall) also makes a huge difference, from house to house.

Reply to
Roger T.

Thanks everyone from the input. I have learned quite a bit!

Reply to
Sam O'Nella