Which Air Purifier?

Hi, During holiday season a smoker visited us. For such an occasion we'd like to keep an effective air purifier(I can't ask him to go outside to smoke in -30C weather). Is there one good at reducing smoke/odor? TIA,

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Why not? Just tell him to enjoy the fresh air. It's your house, right? [I smoked for 40 yrs or so & always respected folks who asked my not to smoke in their house]

Alpine Air ozonators. The eat any odors- even my son's socks.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

My grandson is living with us for a while. He goes outside to smoke. NO ONE smokes in my house.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

You sound like an ex-smoker.

Reply to
Rose

"Tony Hwang" wrote

Smile, while I would go outside (am a smoker) even I would highly appreciate it if staying for more than just a few hours, to have one set aside area to use. -30C I cant even calculate right but major cold there!

Suggestions that would work for me (again, a few hours, I just wait at those temps, a 3 day visit though, I'd go nuts): Attached garage (or any suitable building with no wind and warmer than that by far). This will keep any smoke away from the house. Lacking that, one room *away* from the family (preferably one you dont use if you have large house). If you have a really big place with a guest bedroom that has a sort of small bath with an exterior leading fan, that would work if he's not in there with any non-smokers. If like most places I have heard of with temps that go that low, you have a sort of enclosed foyer (mudroom might be the name). It's not as optimal as others have to walk though and not good if coats there, but in a smaller place, it might work if you can close the coats off ok.

Now for an air purifier, one of the better things looks pretty chincky-cheap but works. They are those little ashtrays with a battery that suck the air dwn into them and filter the air fairly well. They wont keep up with a chain smoker, but they would work well for one like me who can back down politely with no hassles and take a 5 min break every 6 hours or so.

Under no circumstances should they be smoking in your living room or main living spaces. I wont even smoke in MY house with a non-smoking person here. Yes, we have non-smoking guests who stay over a few days at times. One room is reserved and never smoked in and even if that isnt 'perfect' it has worked for my guests so far (since we never ever smoke inside when they are here).

Reply to
cshenk

Can't help you on your question. However, I don't believe it's out of line to ask the person to respect a policy of no smoking in the home. The garage or any area to serve as a wind break should keep them happy.

I'm a smoker, who doesn't smoke in my own home.

I'm down to 5 smokes a day, trying to kick this filthy, nasty habit.

Reply to
Scrubs

Get a Mr. Heater (or comparable) LP radiant heater make your garage the smoking lounge.

Reply to
Pete C.

Of course you can. Whose house is it, anyway?

It's real simple, Tony: "You're welcome to smoke in the back yard, but we don't permit smoking in our house."

Reply to
Doug Miller

If you have forced air, put a highly quality filter in that goes down to micron level.

Reply to
Dan

I had my guests smoke in the garage, they didn't mind. I even put some chairs out there and an ash tray.

Reply to
RickH

Nobody likes a quitter.

Reply to
HeyBub

Yes, about 30+ years now

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Rehab is for quitters......

Reply to
Steve Barker

I go out and smoke all of them even in -30c, it just stinks up the house till spring otherwise, plus its bad for you. Here in Chicago you cant even smoke at a bar or even many places in public, why spend money on this and it wont work, I know I smoke!

Reply to
ransley

OZONE is poison, every Gov agency has posted Limits on exposure that most any unit can exceed in a closed room. Ozone Oxidises lungs, Ozone is bad. Google it, even Ozone Asthma problems, it screwed me up when I had 3 in a mini apt.

Reply to
ransley

It wont work, I have one.

Reply to
ransley

My children don't allow me to smoke in their homes. I no longer have friends who smoke.......no, they haven't all died. Tell your friend that smoking is not allowed in your home, and let him make the adjustments. It can be done nicely, although reformed smokers are a tad obnoxious. When my best friend quit, she just put a "No smoking" sign by the door bell at the front door - good place to make the choice :o) Your friend can go outdoors, get in his car and take a ride, or just bare-knuckle it for a couple of hours.

Florida has no indoor smoking in restaurants, and fortunately many have outdoor seating. But now folks can take their dogs to dinner, which is the goofiest dang law ever passed. Some don't have the smarts to keep their dogs on a leash in a restaurant.

Reply to
Norminn

Just tell the smoker you have asthma or something and it makes you alot worse. Its your home, they arrived in -30, they are dressed for it or they would not be there

Reply to
ransley

In a word, no. A fan with an outside vent and a good CFM can get rid of the smoke quickly, but the odor is pervasive. Besides, you still will end up with having to repaint walls and ceiling, wash courtains and upholstery etc...

Reply to
ahedge

That's ridiculous. Why make excuses in your own home? It's real simple: just tell visitors "We don't permit smoking in our house."

Reply to
Doug Miller