Where to buy DURABLE window Screen

A local commercial building has some brass window screen that is extremely strong. I want to buy some of that, but all I find in building supply or hardware stores is that flimsy aluminum or plastic crap.

I want this very durable screen because some years ago, I had a raccoon rip thru a window screen and get into my house. Although I now live in another house, I am always worried about opening any windows in the summer which could be gotten to by coons. That includes any window along my deck, and any of them near trees. Unfortuntelty, since I live in a wooded area, that includes most of them. So, in the summer I bake inside the house bcause I dont have air conditioning.

Reply to
Paintedcow

I don't know if it will hold up to a raccoon, but the "pet grade" screen that I put on my patio screen door has held up to my fully clawed cat climbing it for close to 10 years without a single rip.

When my cat wants to get in, she climbs the screen about half way up and then jumps down into the deck. The thump gets our attention and we let her in. There is not a mark on the screen.

We've had raccoons on the deck, but they have never tried to come into the house. They have, however, come into the garage via the cat door. I've got a video of one of them climbing a center legged table to get to the cat food. He was just able to get his paws onto the edge of the table and then lifted himself up using only his front legs. It was impressive.

I also have a video of three raccoons coming through the cat door and then about 10 seconds later my cat running out. :-)

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Screen will not keep a determined raccoon out. They can rip a hole in

1/2" hardware cloth.
Reply to
gfretwell

Out at my cabin I surrounded deck with heavy gauge screens years ago, dogs/cats lean on it scratch on it strong wind, snow, rain, etc. Still not damaged or torn.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

I suspect your brass screen is really bronze. Brass will turn green when moisture hits it.

We had a house in Portland, OR that was built in 1948. It had steel cased windows with removable bronze screens. We washed them every few years to get the dust and dirt off, but they never had any strength problems.

Look for true bronze screening.

Paul

Reply to
Paul Drahn

You didn't ask but I think your cure is worse than the disease. If a raccoon comes in, it will head for the waste basket or some food left out. If you threw your trash out frequently and put the uneaten food in the fridge, you woudlnt' have to worry and you coudl have the windows open, a nice breeze, and a fan too.

I had a "portable" AC last summer but only used it for 8 nights. The rest of the time the house wasn't that warm and fans did the rest.

Reply to
Micky

So where do you get the heavy gauge screen?

Reply to
Micky