Where I buy an antique thermostat

Hi All,

Where can I buy a heat only, mechanical, vintage Robertshaw dial thermostat for my 1980's Rheem RGLA-075A-AR forced air heater?

AND NO FREAKIN' BATTERIES!!!!! I want plain, simple, and stupid.

Rheem told me they would not sell me parts and told me to go to a reseller. The reseller won't sell me the parts either and what $95 plus labor to put it in. Two wires and two screws. What a SCAM !!!!!

AAAAAAAAAAAA HHHHHHHH !!!!!

Found one on Fleebay, but I do not trust Fleebay.

Many thanks,

-T

Maybe here

retired1

Is there anything comparable to "Habitat REstore" near you?

"Habitat for Humanity" has a chain of second hand stores specializing in furniture and building materials.

Reply to
danny burstein

or here

retired1

Requires a battery. Mumble, mumble.

Requires a $&*(ing battery.

Thank you anyway.

It would appear the batteries are only for the light up display, not the actual mechanical switch operation.

Reply to
retired1

Home Depot or Lowes. Watch the voltage ratings. Some are 24 vac.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

Scott Lurndal

How can I verify that?

Better yet,

Clare Snyder

Never saw a round Honeywell with a battery and I've seen a LOT of therm.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

You could also look up local used house parts supply shops.

Search for "reuse", "second use", or similar with "building supply"

Reply to
Bob F

What do I get for the extra eight dollars from the honeywellstore?

Any idea what the battery is for?

From one of the one star reviews on Amazon:

Then there's the battery. They don't tell you about the battery, not even in the user manual. If you poke around long enough, you can find a reference to it on the Honeywell web site. It's a lithium CR2450. They seem to be recharging it from the low voltage wires to the thermostat, but even then, it doesn't last forever, maybe 5-10 years if you're lucky. If you want to pry apart the thermostat, then pry out the circuit board, then search for and buy a new battery, then put it all back together the way it was, you can have a working thermostat again for just a couple of bucks. If you don't want to do that, or if you don't figure out why your new thermostat stopped working, you'll need to replace it.

I want one of the old style

I searched the web and was surprised to see that they did have a warning of it containing a lithium battery < ! >

.. but no mention of replacing it in the owners manual < ? >

I discounted the "review" info because online reviews are often posted by idiots who will post for a different make & model ... Even the retailer info should be taken with a grain of salt - it might say " battery included - NO " even when there IS no battery - they are using a product info template. John T.

Reply to
hubops

as per the Owners Manual :

This thermostat contains a Lithium battery which may contain Perchlorate material. Perchlorate Material—special handling may apply, See

Someone earlier suggested that the battery is just for the tiny light ? John T.

Reply to
hubops

Yah, batteries in thermostats are a pet peeve of mine.

Had a new HVAC system installed in 2006. The 'professional installers' were too lazy to hook up the 24v common thermostat wire. A year later when the tstat's battery died, the entire HVAC system quit.

I suspect they were hoping for a $150 service call to change the hidden battery in the tstat. But hah, I fooled them. I connected the common wire. No batteries or service calls required.

Reply to
Greta Thongturd

Well if there is no battery, it's not included. Makes perfect sense.

Sort of. Grin. I feel the same as you do.

Reply to
micky