Where do you buy food grade corn starch and calcium phosphate?

Where can one buy food grade cornstarch & calcium phosphate?

I bought a ton of Baking Soda at Costco (sodium bicarbonate), and I want to make a small amount of baking powder.

Baking powder, as far as I can tell, is baking soda + cornstarch + "cream of tartar" which is usually either calcium phosphate or potassium hydrogen tartrate (KC4H5O6).

I went to Safeway, Trader Joes, and Whole Foods, but none had the missing ingredients, only one of which is required (the cornstarch is optional but the acid tartrate is not.

Where can one buy food grade cornstarch & calcium phosphate?

Cream of Tartar

Reply to
Whitney Ryan

Cornstarch is available at any grocery store.

So is cream of Tartar, but if I remember right is seems to cost a fortune for what it is, and is sold in small amounts. Maybe Smart & Final or Restaurant Depot, etc. sells in larger quantities for a more reasonable price.

Reply to
Pico Rico

Every grocery store I've patronized carries both "food grade cornstarch"[*] and cream of tartar.

Check the flour section for the former, and the spice rack for the CoT.

[*] Used to work on the line bagging starch in 100# bags. For food grade, we had to wear a hairnet.
Reply to
Scott Lurndal

Just bought some yesterday...

Walmart

15oz $1.67
Reply to
Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney

Hi, Just buy Aluminum free baking power or yeast from a health food store. No messing around making your own.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Yup.

Maybe Smart & Final or

Yahbut he only wants to amke "a small amoun of baking powder".

Most folks would just buy a can of baking powder but If price is no object there's a recipe or DIY baking powder here:

"Optionally, you may create and store a powdered baking powder substitute for use at a later date. Combine your cream of tartar and baking soda in a 2:1 ratio as you normally would, then add a quantity of cornstarch equal to the amount of baking soda you added. The cornstarch will absorb moisture from the air, preventing the baking soda and cream of tartar from reacting prematurely."

Susan

Reply to
Susan Bugher

t there's a recipe or DIY baking powder here:

for use at a later date. Combine your cream of tartar and baking soda in a 2:1 ratio as you normally would, then add a quantity of cornstarch equal t o the amount of baking soda you added. The cornstarch will absorb moisture from the air, preventing the baking soda and cream of tartar from reacting prematurely."

Some of us would simplify that to combine your cream of tartar, baking soda , and cornstarch in a ratio of 2:1:1

Think of all the cumulative time I've saved the folks of the world with tha t.

Reply to
trader_4

I just buy Argo at Albertson's Supermarket. It's on the shelf right next to the cornstarch :)

Clabber Girl bought the Rumford label and it's aluminum free too but slightly more expensive than Argo.

As for cream of tartar, I wouldn't call them health foods stores exactly, but a couple of local markets have bulk spices that a much less expensive than those little McCormick jars. Of course, they have bulk baking powder too. And cornstarch.

Reply to
rbowman

Just curious -- what is the problem with aluminum in baking powder?

Isaac

Reply to
isw

Scott Lurndal wrote, on Mon, 12 Jan 2015 21:35:25 +0000:

Safeway didn't have either one. Trader Joes didn't have either one. Whole Foods didn't have either one.

But, I'll keep trying. Cream of Tartar should be super cheap given what it is.

Reply to
Whitney Ryan

Snuffy \"Hub Cap\" McKinney wrote, on Mon, 12 Jan 2015 13:48:29 -0800:

The cornstarch is optional, and only really needed for storage.

If I make the baking powder on the fly, there should be no need for cornstarch.

What I REALLY need is the powdered acid, whether it's calcium phosphate or potassium hydrogen tartrate (KC4H5O6) from wine casks.

There is none of this at Safeway, Trader Joes, or Whole Foods.

Are you saying that Walgreens has the powdered acid?

Reply to
Whitney Ryan

rbowman wrote, on Mon, 12 Jan 2015 21:41:29 -0700:

Where's the powdered acid?

Reply to
Whitney Ryan

Just curious. OP, why do you want to make your own baking powder when they sell it at the grorcery store?

Reply to
micky

Then you must be blind. Any Safeway or Whole Foods will have both those items. Safeway even has their own house brand of cornstarch and Whole Foods has their own 365 brand of Cream of Tartar.

Juile, is that you?

Nothing more to see here. It's just another time-waster.

-sw

Reply to
Sqwertz

any supermarket, here; in the baking dept.

30 g costs about £1 sterling

Janet UK

Reply to
Janet

micky wrote, on Tue, 13 Jan 2015 01:24:06 -0500:

Why do you have a bag of flour at home? Why not just buy bread and cake?

Why do you have eggs at home? Why not just buy your omelets ready made?

Why do you have a bag of sugar at home? Why not just buy all your cookies at the store?

Have you ever bought the five-dollar bag of baking soda from Costco? It's the size of a bag of cement.

If I buy a similar five-dollar five pound bag of powdered acid, I can make all the baking powder I want whenever I want.

Reply to
Whitney Ryan

Janet wrote, on Tue, 13 Jan 2015 10:55:58 +0000:

30 grams? Are you joking?

We're looking for something like five pound bags of the stuff.

I guess you've never been to Costco.

Reply to
Whitney Ryan

All I know about Cream of Tartar is where to buy it, what it costs, how to use it, and how much I'll ever need for home baking.

Without needing to guess, I know you don't.

Janet UK

Reply to
Janet

There is a huge difference in the taste of fresh baked bread and cake versus store bought, that's why I bake some stuff here. There isn't any taste difference in baking soda bought or made.

See above.

See above.

Sure, 99% of it goes into the pool.

To use you logic, why don't you buy the wheat to make the flour too? Almost everyone I know does at least some baking, cooking, etc. I don't know anyone that makes their own cream of tartar, much less in 5 lb quantities. You think maybe that's why the supermarket doesn;t carry that size?

And for the record, you didn't say you wanted a 5 pound bag of cream of tartar. If you had, none of us would say to look in the local supermarket. You said you couldn't find it at all in the supermarket. All the rest of us have found it, it's in the spice rack, in a little jar. costs ~$4. You can buy 10 times as much *baking powder*, already made, at the same store for less. It performs the same as what you're going to make, so there goes all the bogus food comparisons you made above.

Also, if you use that much, then you can buy *baking powder* in bulk. A simple google search shows it's available for as little as $7 for a

5lb bag. A similar search shows that cream of tartar is also available for ~$7 a pound from various suppliers. What exactly is your problem?

Something is obviously not right here. Someone who would need that much baking powder, cream of tartar, etc to make screwing around worth it, surely knows where to find all those products in the local supermarkets. And enough sense to know that if you want bulk volumes of them, you can find them at restaurant supply stores, online, etc. What buffoon would expect to find 5lb bags of cream of tartar in a supermarket?

Reply to
trader_4

Do you often talk about making large quantities of a white powdery substance in alt.home.repair?

Reply to
sf