whazzit, how much?

I scored five propane tanks today for $20. Mfr date '06 stamped on collar. I thought they were forklift tanks, as I had used a ton of those in the past, but these do not have the empty/full gauge in the center. There is a double universal hook up, and under the yellow seal, an industrial fill connector. Any idea what they were used for and what they are worth?

Second item, metal halide lights. My friend just got me these four additional ones. The one I put up on my shop is a jewel, and now I have four more to place and light up the night so I can work out there when it's cool. Aluminum housing, metal housing, reflector inside glass panel, and transformer to bring from 110 to 220. Any idea what they're worth, or what they cost new?

Thanks in advance.

Steve

visit my blog at

Steve B

The tanks could be for an industrial steam cleaner. The lights could be for a foreign or industrial market. The value of your score depends on what anyone is willing to pay for it. I see tens of thousands of dollars worth of perfectly useful functioning equipment hit the scrap yard only to meet the shredder. It's heart breaking, much like seeing a cute puppy being euthanized at an animal shelter. 8-)

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

The Daring Dufas wrote: (snip)

I dunno about it rising to PUPPY level, especially with all the animal lovers on here. But yeah, it is sad. And certainly not very 'green'. For the sake of my blood pressure, I have to work real hard to not let it get to me.

At the place where I work, funded by your tax dollars, the computer support techs and the inventory support techs don't do a real good job of keeping stuff in sets. As any of you who have been anywhere near the secondary market know, stuff is worth a LOT more when it has all the widgets and cords (much less the driver disks and owners manuals) with it. I have protested to upper management multiple times about it, only to be told 'it costs too much to do that' and 'sit down and shut up'. An example that will mean something to RACS- we just sent out several skid-sized cubes marked as scrap metal, consisting of server rack rails. RACS people would call them drawer glides from hell. They are server-brand specific, and retail for 100-150 bucks a pair. Full extension, 24+ inches, often ball-bearing, rated for 100 lbs +, etc. Each pair has been extended maybe 20 times in its service life, so essentially brand new. I kept telling the techs- keep the rails with the server when you de-install it. 'No, that would take too much time'. So now, the other agency or school or auction customer who ends up with the server has to go out and buy another set of rails. I estimate each of the skid-sized cubes has at least 100 pairs of these rails in them. I marked the boxes as well as I could, in the hope that the place that passes out or sells this stuff will store it INSIDE, and that the customers walking through screening for free stuff, or for stuff to bid on, will recognize it for what it is, and it will stay out of the shredder. All you can do is all you can do.

(Stuff like this is why I don't say exactly who I work for. There probably aren't six people in my agency who use Usenet any more, but if Google ever gets their search thingie fixed, and one of my managers searches on the agency name or my name, they would likely get pissed.)

Reply to
aemeijers

So what if they get pissed? You're a civil servant and it would be difficult to fire you. If they tried to transfer you to Greenland or somesuch, they know you could invoke the "whistle-blower" meme.

Look what happened to Shirley Sherrod.

Of course she's still fired, but it's the principle of the thing.

Reply to
HeyBub

It's possible that those are fork lift tanks. But, that the gages broke. someone decided to "change when it stops working" instead of having a gage.

Value. About 1/4 to 1/5 of the price of new tanks.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon