I seem to recall reading somewhere that dipping dried out magic
markers in toluene will work, but can't seem to find it in the local
hardware stores, though I thought I've seen it in the past.
If I recall correctly, toluene was eliminated from
bottles of correction fluid because kids were using
it as an inhalant to get high.
How do we know that's not what you were planning
to do? I've added your name to our database of
potential drug abusers. You won't be getting
any trick-or-treaters tonight! :-)
Once in a great, great while - plain water might help - for about 5 minutes
at least. As JimL says, the best solution is to buy a new one. I like the
Prismacolor Premier because of the huge selection of colors - art stores
The markers they sell now smell more of xylene (xylol) than toluene.
If the marker is dry you should be able to wick some solvent by
dipping the tip in a shallow pool of xylene in the bottom of a jar,
sealing, and leaving it for a few hours. When the solvent starts to
color from the ink, you are done.
This won't get much solvent into the pen, and expect it to dry out
soon. Drilling a tiny hole (watch for sparks!) and injecting the
solvent with a syringe might work. Seal the hole with a small sheet
metal screw. Tape won't stick for long.
See? Isn't it better to buy fresh markers?
HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here.
All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.