What to do with the rises?

Hi,

I'm about to sand and finish a bunch of stairs and I'm wondering whether I can do reasonably do anyithing interesting with the rises other than paint them white. My concern is that if I finish them in the same way as the treads it'll give it an undesirable ski lodge feel.

Maybe there's a website with pictures where I could get some good ideas?

Thanks,

Aaron Fude

Reply to
aaronfude

Wouldn't you stain the whole lot ? White risers (and treads) would scuff up a lot, no ?

Reply to
roger61611

I don't ski, but most stairs in private homes have both the tread and risers the same. No need they must be. What do you like?

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Most stairs I have seen with white risers (in traditional N E style homes) also have a carpet runner up the middle. Most houses built in last 30 years don't even have hardwood on the stairs- they assume from the get-go that stairs will have W/W carpet. I prefer hardwood stairs, but I hate vacuuming. Note well that you do not want a gloss finish on the treads- very slippery when walking the stairs in stocking feet.

aem sends...

Reply to
ameijers

The all white would be too much for me too unless there was a carpet runner. My friend stined the treads and painted the risers. ballisters are white , handrail is stined.....NICE.

Reply to
Jimmie D