What's the trick to preventing stacked plastic buckets from sticking together? (2024 Update)

A paper towel or two draped over the rims will do the trick for long time storage.

Reply to
Roy

don't have a trick to keep them from sticking, but if you blow down between them with a blow gun and a hundred pounds of pressure on the hose or so, they will slide right apart. (unless they were full of cake icing or something. btdt )

Reply to
Steve Barker

The plastic just sticks to itself if in close contact for a long time.

Reply to
hrhofmann

Best way to unstick is to put some ice cubes in top container and place the bottom container in hot water. Changes the air pressure in "vacuumed" area and they come apart with some twisting.

Reply to
gearmaven

I've had good luck drilling lots of holes in the bottoms, and then using a red builders brick as a spacer between each bucket. Adds a bit of height to the stack, but much easier to separate.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

That does not "prevent" the problem. Sometimes it can solve the problem To prevent the problem, just drape a twine down inside each bucket as you stack them and they cannot develop a vacuum seal.

Reply to
clare

I have two big recycle containers with holes already there. They are truly stuck. I drag them to the curb every other week. I gave up a few years ago trying to get them apart.

Reply to
Thomas

I have three I keep stacked. They are similar but not identical. Stacked in a certain way they will not stick so I have them numbered 1..2..3 with a permanent marker.

Reply to
Ameri-Clean

replying to subinsilicon, JV-88 wrote: The stick method seems to work. I drop a shim in each bucket. Shims are various lengths, etc but have a nice variable thickness to them and don't require a lot of maintenance to install. Depending on how many buckets you have and how many you need to store defines the length of the shim. Of course if the shim is not standing upright in the receiving bucket vapor lock may occur. Shark Tank get ready for bucket shim!!

Reply to
JV-88

A ball of twine works good. Just loop the twine to the bottom of each bucket before adding the next bucket

Reply to
clare

Drill a hole in the bottom of them to let air in.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

RonNNN

replying to nestork, jnina wrote: So, the Home Depot orange buckets stick together.

Reply to
jnina

Put a short piece of tubafor or similar in bottom to keep from letting one "bottom out" in the other.

--

Reply to
dpb

put a thick string betwee nthe buckets

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Suction is the problem as air cannot get in. Drill a few hols in the bottom of each.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Isn't only issue..friction is, too.

Reply to
dpb

I use tubatoos because they're lighter.

Reply to
Wendy Whiner

rbowman

I've been using the twine trick for years - and IT WORKS

Reply to
Clare Snyder