What's a square?

Reading some of the posts here about roofing, I've come across a term with which I'm unfamiliar, "square," in reference to a measurement of the area being roofed. Since I am about to finance a major remodel of my house, knowing what this term actually measures might come in handy.

Thank you, and please continue to hang loosely.

-chib

Reply to
chibiabos

100 square feet (i.e., 10' x 10')
Reply to
JerryMouse

The term is used for siding also. It is 100 square feet. Shingles will often be noted on a bundles with something like 4 bundles per square or 3 bundles per square. If it takes four bundles per square it is a heavier shingle than the 3 per. Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

a Square in the roofing terms is a area 10 ft. X 10 ft. it is equal to

100 square feet... i have 26 squares on my roof, the roof is 2600 square feet in coverage.....
Reply to
jim

4 equal sides = a square
Reply to
Jimmy Thome

and 4 right angles.

Reply to
Jay

Actually, only two are required.

Reply to
JerryMouse

If all four sides are equal, knowing that *one* angle is a right angle is sufficient to establish that the figure is square.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Did you mean the four bundles are smaller shingles? Does that follow that they are heavier? Haven't bought any lately, might be out of touch here.

Joe

Reply to
Joe Bobst

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

Right. The typical 3 tab shingles are packed 3 bundles to a square. The higher priced architectural shingles are often 4 packages to a square. The Most expensive, thickest are 6 to a square. You can check this out on the GAF web page. Ed snipped-for-privacy@snet.net

Edwin Pawlowski

But that could only occur if the 2 diagonals are equal.

Reply to
Giznawz

But hey, it's YOUR internet, you post wherever the hell you want to, right?

CLUE FACTORY CALLING!!!!!!!!!! HELLLLOOOOOO!!!!!!!!??? --- YOUR contribution goes HERE ---

Reply to
I-zheet M'drurz

I was thinking about what are some of the different ways of describing, or defining a square... all of which mean essentially the same thing. You can't have one way without having all of the others. Appologies about any confusion.

Giz

Reply to
Giznawz

A square is also someone who takes usenet a little too seriously.

Enjoy, Giz

Reply to
Giznawz

Huh?

GIven that all four sides are equal, knowing that *one* of the angles is a right angle is *all* you need to prove that the figure is a square. You don't need to know anything about the diagonals; in fact, knowing that one of the angles is a right angle is sufficient to prove that the diagonals are equal as well.

Reply to
Doug Miller

So do they set the weight of a bundle at a specific amount or do they just vary it as convenient?

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

I don't know how it is determined. Probably has something to do with the weight that a worker can safely carry up a ladder. Some supply houses do roof deliveries, but many roofers still take them up a bundle at a time on their shoulder. Ed snipped-for-privacy@snet.net

Edwin Pawlowski

That's exactly what I was thinking: Somebody likely needs to lug those squares up a ladder, you can only let them weigh so much.

Reply to
I-zheet M'drurz

I would imagine they try to keep them under 4o pounds. Which brings up another point. Of the commonly available ladders, many have a capacity of only 200 pounds, some about 230 pounds, and the more expensive have a capacity of only 250 pounds. All of which says to me that they are pretty poor or else they have a high safety factor. What does a 200 or even a 220 pounder carry up a ladder? Ladder capacities seem pretty low considering that even young people in good shape (excellent shape?) have weights of 180 to 220 pounds.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon