What percentage of flat tires can be saved?

The crappy ones are Blitz. They went out of business. Good riddance. It doesn't matter the outside peeling as that's just the pretty layer.

But the blitz cans tend to split along the top seam and their spouts will always crack and leak around the stem due to atrociously poor design.

The better ones are Spectre. You can buy them at Costco. They're great. The spout removes easily and doesn't stick out so it won't break easily.

You never need the nozzle anyway. You just use it as a bung hole as it's no good for pouring.

Reply to
Minoru Osaka

I couldn't get 100 gallons if I rolled the window down and stuck the nozzle in :) At 5 cents a gallon less than the other stations, that 40 cents is my savings for the entire fill up.

Reply to
rbowman

Yeah, 5 gallons is enough for me. That's for the lawnmower although I'll sometimes top off the bikes at the end of the season.

Reply to
rbowman

You can plug a tire yourself if you keep a kit with you. I run tires until they are thin and border-line dangerous. I'm mildly exaggerating, but light stress cracks on the sidewall of a 10 year old tire won't deter me from running it if it has good tread.

Reply to
Michael Trew

Gregory Morrow

checked tires are OK (although if they are checked the tread ill be hard too, so braking effectiveness is reduced) bt if you run highway speeds and/or with a load????? Checked 10 year old tires are DANGEROUS

Reply to
Clare Snyder

I just replaced my 10-YO tires. 38K miles. Minor cracks, but this is SoCal -- ALL our tires have minor cracks. Overnight flat. Nobody would repair it due to age. Turns out that there was a blown-out hole in the interior sidewall. Bought 4 new tires just like those. Excellent life and dry traction, I'm happy.

Reply to
The Real Bev