What is your total cost of ownership of your phone, over five years?

Yes, of course, it would be you to agree with such nonsense. It makes perfect sense in some circumstances, like when the sums are very low. You, naturally, cannot understand stats, you just see them and generalise without thought for human circumstances.
--
dorayme

On 01/24/2018 08:36 AM, nospam wrote:

How does a flip phone that is capable of originating and receiving voice and text messages become any more capable?

because flippers (and candybars) do a shitload more than that, and have for a couple of decades, including a camera, email, calendar, games, a web browser (for wap-enabled sites), music (usually midi but sometimes mp3/aac) and could even run third party apps, such as: <https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/5-great-j2me-apps-nonsmartphone/
the phones also became thinner, lighter and had better battery run time.
that's pretty good for a 'free' upgrade.
On 01/24/2018 08:26 PM, nospam wrote:

This one has a calendar. I don't use it. I have a real camera plus a couple of tablets. I take photos extremely infrequently. I don't play games. I listen to music -- on my Fire tablet. That also has a web browser superior to anything you will find on a flip phone.
I charge the battery every couple of weeks unless I'm in an area with no cell reception and forget to turn it off. I might have to charge it more frequently if I ever used it more than a few times a year.
I don't like phones, never did, and nothing in a 'free' upgrade would make me like them better.

Makes perfect sense where the costs are trivial.
--
dorayme

On 1/24/2018 4:07 PM, dorayme wrote:

Evidently either you did not see the entire post or are humor impaired.

Not necessarily the only options. You left out that maybe I misunderstood.
--
dorayme

On 1/24/2018 9:09 PM, dorayme wrote:

Yes, I suggested he buy a new phone for $800 instead of the $7 battery.

OK, I missed it! That is the first joke I have missed in 786 years (I'm very old).
--
dorayme

Ed Pawlowski posted for all of us...

HAAAA good one! You slide them in nicely...
--
Tekkie

Harold Newton:

Thanks to sound planning and a little bit of luck I don't have to worry about such trivia. I also don't keep phones for five years.
you will say in your entire life.
On Tue, 23 Jan 2018 21:55:19 -0500, Davoud wrote:

We're asking about an *average* over five years.
If you only keep a phone for 3 years, then you average it and add two years.
On Tue, 23 Jan 2018 20:43:19 +0000 (UTC), Harold Newton

Well, since someone gave me my current Blackberry Q10, and I also have 3 Z30 , 1 z10, and 1 q10 as spares that I also got for nothing, my total cost so far was $5 on ebay for a case, plus the Sim card from Rogers and my monthly user fees. My wife's cell phone was also free, and I replaced the battery off e-bay for $7. I have 2 spares of hers as well - at no cost.
Beat that!!!
On Tue, 23 Jan 2018 16:22:20 -0500, Clare Snyder wrote:

That's hard to beat, but I have two new iPads I received for free, plus a relative received a free used iPhone 6 for free ... so, freebies do abound.
I give a lot of gifts out though, so for example, I just received back 4 Android phones because I bought four of those 32GB octacore $130 LG Stylo 3 Plus phones as stocking stuffers for Christmas.
So when I get that iPhone 6 back (she now has an iPhone 7), I'll have five extra phones, all "free" to me (so to speak) to play with, in addition to my tried and true circa 2012 Samsung Galaxy S3.
My cases were $1 each but I do have a bunch of batteries: <
http://wetakepic.com/images/2018/01/19/battery1.jpg

On 1/23/2018 1:22 PM, Clare Snyder wrote:

$-32.
On Tue, 23 Jan 2018 20:43:19 +0000 (UTC), Harold Newton

My phone is still hooked to the wall and I got it for free back when they were still "illegal". The land line adds about $16 a month to my internet bill.
On 01/23/2018 03:43 PM, Harold Newton wrote:

I had a 21-month-old HTC Desire 612 that I had to trash because it had the WPA2 / krack security hole and HTC couldn't be bothered to create a security patch for it.
Guess what brand my new phone is not.  Guess what brand I'll never buy again.
On Tue, 23 Jan 2018 16:33:53 -0500, Joe Customer wrote:

Pictures of the phone in your hand, or it didn't happen.
HINT: You complain about this made-up imaginary phone all the time. Give it a rest. And stay on topic.

What's the cost of hardware ownership of that phone you profess to own?

What's the cost of hardware ownership of that phone you profess to own?
On 01/23/2018 08:59 PM, Harold Newton wrote:

Unless you have been living under a rock for the last 6 months, you'd know there are millions of wifi devices that remain unpatched to this day. You are free to do what you like with your stuff but I don't want unpatched WPA2 / krack vulnerable devices on my network.
On Wed, 24 Jan 2018 04:49:48 -0500, Pseudonym

That's REAL:LY simple. Turn off the WiFi. It's a PHONE for crying out loud. When you are within range of your "network" use your computer for stuff that requires network connectivity.