What is your total cost of ownership of your phone, over five years?

Evidently either you did not see the entire post or are humor impaired.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

nowhere near as quick as with an actual qwerty keyboard, possibly even faster with custom keyboards, all of which are faster than blackberry.

97 wpm:
Reply to
nospam

Kids -- against the rules -- used to be able to send messages in class without looking at the keyboard.

Reply to
The Real Bev

they still can.

Reply to
nospam

And they read them without looking at the screen?

Don.

(e-mail link at home page bottom).

Reply to
Don Wiss

They will pretty much throw a flip phone at you for free but if you want something "smart" you will just be getting an installment plan. My "free" Convoy cost the same as "bring your own" when I added it to my wife's plan. ($10/mo same as I was paying Jitterbug) I think I got $20-30 for the old Jitterbug

Reply to
gfretwell

Not necessarily the only options. You left out that maybe I misunderstood.

Reply to
dorayme

So what? Neither as as good as a perfect smart voice dictation system. So what? Not everything is a simple competition ripe for you to be simplistically on one side.

The point was simply that having fewer but bigger multifunctional keys on a device that is very small is a good thing and for some people better than lots of keys (whether hard or screen) on a bigger heavier device.

Reply to
dorayme

Mine has for several years - but it's still pricey.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Yes, I suggested he buy a new phone for $800 instead of the $7 battery.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

How does a flip phone that is capable of originating and receiving voice and text messages become any more capable?

Reply to
rbowman

Yup. Right now I have 1226 minutes since I seldom use the thing. I wish I could just buy days and not minutes.

Reply to
rbowman

Unfortunately one of the people who knows my number is name Heather and is a lower than whale shit telemarketer. What's worse is the maggots have started to spoof out of service local numbers that constantly change. May they all die of STDs.

Reply to
rbowman

Worse, in California, you are forced to pay the *tax* on the full (usually inflated) MSRP on that "free" phone.

So you pay roughly $100 tax on a free $1,000 phone, *plus* the carrier's jackup in service costs, plus the additional *tax* on the jacked-up service costs, such that the tax alone could be one quarter of the inflated MSRP of the "free" phone (depending on the math used).

Reply to
Harold Newton

We're asking about an *average* over five years.

If you only keep a phone for 3 years, then you average it and add two years.

Reply to
Harold Newton

And my grand mother had gray hair. And lighting bolts usually come up from the ground. And a tree fell in the forest a while back. etc.

What does the patch level of the OS have to do with the hardware costs averaged over time?

Reply to
Harold Newton

it isn't.

Reply to
nospam

because flippers (and candybars) do a shitload more than that, and have for a couple of decades, including a camera, email, calendar, games, a web browser (for wap-enabled sites), music (usually midi but sometimes mp3/aac) and could even run third party apps, such as:

the phones also became thinner, lighter and had better battery run time.

that's pretty good for a 'free' upgrade.

Reply to
nospam

emily and elizabeth keep calling me. oddly, they both have the same voice, and probably the same voice as heather too.

something far more painful would be much better.

Reply to
nospam

buy it in oregon.

Reply to