What is this weird hoe called?

Hi All,

I have a doe the is exactly like a standard garden hoe, except the blade is not out at a 90 degree angle to the handle. It is straight with the handle. I use it for breaking up ice when I am shoveling snow. Works great!

All these years, I have called it a "straight hoe". What is it actually called? Do-dad? Thing-a-ma-jig? Whatchmacallit?

-T

Kids these days.

Dean Hoffman

That is it, only a wood handle

So it is called an ice breaker? All these years I that I was misusing a garden tool!

hubops

My parents always called it an ice breaker.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

hubops

A lawn edger looks similar, but has bent part on top of the blade for you to step on it to use your body weight to drive the blade into the soil.

invalid unparseable

That is it.

So two names: "ice breaker" and "sidewalk scraper"

Darn, I don't have one.

I use a spade. My father's, at least as old as I am, in excellent condition, as good as it was 60 years ago, though some of the blue paint is earing off.

Reply to
micky

Or a floor scraper. Excellent for lifting old linoleum tiles.

Scott Lurndal