What is the proper way to prune a young pine tree?

Hi All,

I have read if you do not prune a pine tree properly, the you allow beetles under the bark.

I have some low branches laying on the ground I want to prune off. What is the proper way?

Do I paint something on the open cut?

Do I make two cuts on the branches so I do not create a lever on the trunk?

Is winter okay to prune?

Many thanks,

-T

I like to google these questions up and saw this:

Surprised they favor spring but I would think late winter is OK.

Reply to
Frank

I have seen those.

They are quick to point out that insect can get in, but they do not recommend a sealer.