Unusual stairway

I have a friend whose house in Dickeyville Md.was built in 1854. It's a classic eastern house from the period, set back only about 3 feet from the sidewalk, which immediately abuts the street, room enough just for steps going up to the full-width porch, where people would sit and talk to those walking by. In part of the basement you can see the foundation, a wall of rocks, held together by I'm not sure what. The bathroom upstairs, built much later, has a 3 or 4" step up, like hotels I've been in, so they can route the drains without ripping out the entire floor.

But what's really intersting is that it has two street numbers, one that she uses and one for the other door which is at the other end of the house. Now the right hand door just goes straight into the living room, while the left-hand door goes into another small room behind which is the kitchen. But at one time it was a two-family house. That's not unusual either, but it only has one stairway going to the second floor.

From the right side of the house, there is a small set of about 2 steps leading to about 3 pie-, wedge-shaped steps that go ta landing, which has a doorway leading to the left-side of the house. There is a drop off there, but it's clear there once were 5 steps on the left-hand side leading to the same landing.

In other words, both families share one stairway leading to the 2nd floor.

Have you ever heard of this before? Is there a name for it?

Reply to
micky

micky wrote on 1/19/2023 10:45 PM:

If you build a partition wall along the length of the stairway from top to bottom of the house then the whole house will qualify as a "duplex". Now you don't have the partition wall, then it should be called a "duplex sans partition".

Reply to
invalid unparseable

Yep, not unusual with the big houses that were once for just one family which later got converted to house more than one.

Reply to
farter

It sounds like your friend's house is a classic example of a two-family or duplex house from the period in which it was built. It's not uncommon for older houses to have been converted into multi-family homes, particularly in urban areas where land is at a premium.

The two street numbers, one for each entrance, would have been used to distinguish between the two units in the house, and the fact that there is only one stairway leading to the second floor would indicate that the two units shared common spaces such as the stairway and possibly even the second floor. This type of housing arrangement is called a "two-unit house" or "duplex" which is a type of multifamily housing where two families can live in separate units while sharing common spaces such as the stairway and entrance.

It's also not uncommon for older houses to have small step-ups or changes in floor level to accommodate the routing of plumbing or other building systems without having to tear out the entire floor.

Reply to
HomeOwnersHub Advisor

Not exactly. As you say next, it would seem to have been a single-family home later converted to a duplex with another front door added, and then converted back. That's possible, and if the owner doesn't mind, I may ask some of the others in the community if they think that's the case.

With Street View, I found one other house only 4 doors away with two entrances. I may go talk to them. (That one has big planters on the stoop leading to one of the doors, and a sign on the door "Use other door". So it's not a duplex anymore. It's half a story taller than my friend's and maybe a little wider. I wonder if it has only one stairway! I see it dates from c. 1860 although the real estate listing says 1875.) One of the real estate listings has 30 interior photos, and the place has been totally remodeled, but I can still see that it has bascially two living rooms, each with a fireplace, on each side of the central chimney, and the door that is not used can be seen in the corner. There seems to be a wall door between the two living rooms, as if they were separate homes. It also has only one stairway, 4 steps sideways along the front of the house, and then it turns left. The remodeling was probably done before the current owners got there, but I still really have to go talk to them. There's also a picture from the top of t he stairs.

This wasn't a crowded area and still isn't. In the 1850's until the

1920's or so, it was rural. And it's apparent from the houses with a more recent style that are only a block away, some with 1950's style only two blocks away, some even with attached garage. In fact most of the houses are from 1920 or later, I guess because it wa a milltown and the mill's business ended because of increased industrialization elsewhere and the decline of the textile business. (They had had a grist mill, a paper mill converted to make wooken cloth,

Yes, of course. Houses built when it was didn't have indoor bathrooms.

Reply to
micky