What happens to Ice Box Defrost Water

In my home ice box, the "defrost water" ends up in an removable evaporation pan. It doesn't have to be emptied but it does accumulate some slime and I like to wash it several times a years.

But the ice box in a rental I can "cleaning up" doesn't seem to have a removable pan.

Is it a case of my not looking hard enough or do some makers feel that it doesn't need to be cleaned?

EMWTK

Reply to
John Gilmer

Maybe it's not self-defrosting. If it is, there has to be some provision.

Reply to
dpb

Have you even seen the TV show "Monk"?

Are you related?

John Gilmer wrote:

Reply to
Pat

If it truly is an "Ice Box" then the drip pan if you have one has to be emptied every day.

Reply to
tnom

Oh, it's definitely self-defrosting. I can even find when the defrost water drains down a hole in the back of the freezer. (I guess it heats the back (it's a side by side) of the freezer section during defrost.

Reply to
John Gilmer

I am old enough that my parents actually used true "ice boxes." From my childhood I refer to a fridge as an ice box.

Reply to
John Gilmer

Some units, the drip pan is in the back, stuck to the top of the compressor. The warmth of the compressor helps reevaporate the water.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Thanks.

I have the ice box away from the wall for cleaning. I will take off that thick paper stuff and see if I can see anything that should be washed out.

Reply to
John Gilmer

If there is thick cardboard (atached with screws), please put it back when you're finished cleaning. The cardboard helps direct air flow. It's important to put it back.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Will do.

Thanks, again.

Reply to
John Gilmer

The rats come out at night and drink it all.

Reply to
grg2006