What gives?

homewyse.com estimates a bathtub replacement as $2,202.00. Home Depot Home Services contractor gave an estimate of $8,000.00.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com says...

Many prices vary. I had 4 estiments on a new roof a few years back. Two were for around 8 thousand, one for about 12 thousnad and another for about 18 thousand. The was for the same quality shingles. The company doing the job was the second lowest and had 8 Mexicans show up. They worked hard and did a very good job. Not lone after we had a bunch of wind and they all stayed on and are still all on after 4 years.
On 5/14/2019 11:24 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:

I had a similar experience a couple of years ago when I got a new deck. I don't know about HD but a Lowes bid was one of the high ones.
On 5/14/19 11:10 PM, Molly Brown wrote:

Maybe a freestanding bathtub is cheaper to replace than a tub built in to a shower stall lined with tile?
On Wednesday, May 15, 2019 at 6:04:26 AM UTC-4, Biff Tannen wrote:

Kind of what I was going to say. The details matter. Even the cost of the tub, is it a cheap fiberglass small one or a top of the line cast iron big one? With tile, never really thought about it, but what do they do? If it's a replacement, chances are the original tiles are not available, so what then? Replace the tiles at the last row around the tub with some different style accent ones? Or can you manage to get them off without breaking them? What do they typically do?
On 5/14/19 11:10 PM, Molly Brown wrote:

I’m two-for-two on bad experiences with Home Depot subcontractors,
1. I contracted with HD for an expensive whole-house wall-to-wall carpet redo. The carpet itself is very nice and has worn well.
Unfortunately however, their installers did a poor job including some wall damage during tear-out, some baseboard molding gouging on the new install, and a needless dispute when they initially refused to use the more expensive and time consuming French Cap technique on the nose of the treads on two flights of stairs- which we had specifically paid extra for.
They also started jigsaw puzzle-piecing a small room using scrap rather than getting a piece big enough to do the room right. Most annoyingly, however, after a few year, the carpet loosened up and long ridges raised up in several rooms.
2. My Home Depot-purchased gas fired water failed during the warranty period. HD offered a deeply discounted price for a new heater but of course, labor to replace the old one was not included.
The labor charge alone their contractor proposed to remove the old one and install the new one- which I would have to pay for in addition- was significantly higher than what our regular HVAC maintenance company quoted for for a comparable new heater including installation. We ended up going with our HVAC company.
On Wednesday, May 15, 2019 at 11:15:25 AM UTC-4, Wade Garrett wrote:

,
Wasn't the water heater warranty from the manufacturer? Couldn't you get just a water heater, without the installation and install it yourself or have your own plumber install it? Even if you had to go through a dealer for whatever brand it was, I would think you could shop around. Or was this some special HD warranty, only through them? I bought a WH from HD, installed it myself and when the thermocouple failed, I contacted the manufacturer and they had a replacement thermocouple here in two days under warranty.
I've never used a HD contractor. One obvious problem is that HD is getting a cut on the deal, so that adds to the contractor's cost. I did get a quote from them for a new HVAC, it was somewhere in the middle, not cheap but not the most expensive either, but I didnt choose them, so have no experience beyond that.
Molly Brown posted for all of us...

The batteries in my crystal ball are dead.
I will quote you $50K plus expenses for quote. Send deposit and we will arrange a time for the quote. What color tub you want, we are running a special on red. Limited quantities apply. Arbitration rules apply. We can paint your old tub, we got special stuff for that. Drain problems are extra. If we have to pull hair out we charge by the strand. Where is the tub? What floor? On slab? We can fly Oren in for consultation, he is a magician with tubs and know whats up. Get back to me pronto as we are busy and do not have time to mess around.
--
Tekkie