What do you call this branch of treatment?

What would you call the medical specialty or profession, related to sports medicine, but not for injuries, but for improving performance.

On other trips, I start out fat and slwo and after a few weeks I have more endurance and stamina, and lose weight. This time none of that has happened.

Plus I had an x-ray a few months ago that said it looked like I had had COPD, even though I've never had any lung problems.

Reply to
micky

It may well be that I'm eating more than prior trips. In a way, if that's it, that would be good.

They've made mistakes** before. Last year I had an EKG which prompted someone to recommend an echocardiogram and one similar test, which prompted the cardiologist to recommend a cardiac catheterization, which was negative. Asked, he said, The first tests gave bad information.

**Not a mistake in that they did the wrong thing given what they knew, but retrospectively it was a mistake
Reply to
micky

I have been through stuff like this and saw a pulmonologist for complete workup. The spot seen first on a xray was nothing and my lungs are in good shape.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

Performance Enhancement

While those words typically invoke a negative connotation related to "performance enhancing drugs", the Performance Enhancement branch (?) of sports medicine includes both physical training (Athletic Performance Training) and mental preparation (Performance Psychology).

The physical training portion is pretty straight forward. Based on the requirements of your specific sport or personal goal, what muscles need to be involved, is it a strength or endurance need, how much aerobic exercise is needed, what is the proper schedule and session length, etc.

The mental preparation part can involve eliminating mental blocks that stop you from training as much as you know you should, dealing with performance anxiety that prevents you from actually performing your best even when you are in top physical shape, getting past muscle guarding after an injury, etc.

Some physical therapy organizations also offer Performance Enhancement programs. They have the facilities, they have the equipment, they (hopefully) have the knowledge.

After a recent shoulder surgery, I used to work out right next to members of the local college and professional teams. They were hopping on one foot catching medicine balls while I was trying to figure out how to scratch the back of my head. ;-)

Reply to
Marilyn Manson

Reminds me when in college phys ed course I passed through a gym with a phys ed majors class and they were all walking on their hands.

These things are for athletes as is sports medicine. Do not think micky is an athlete.

Many years ago I had collar bone repair and know what is like not even being able to scratch the back of your head.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

Well, regardless of his physical condition, his goals for himself or even his state of mind, he did ask for the name of that "branch" of sports medicine.

"What would you call the medical specialty or profession, related to sports medicine, but not for injuries, but for improving performance."

My main goal was to answer his question.

But I will wager that Micky could call a PT facility or other group that offers a Performance Enhancement program, explain his specific situation and get some help. I'd bet that they have "slimmed down" (NPI) programs - for a price, of course - that might help Micky get back some of that youthful vigor. More expensive than a gym membership, of course. ;-)

Right shoulder surgery. A year later, and fully recovered, I can still do things with my left hand way better than I could before the injury. Sometimes I do them unconsciously. The brain is an amazing thing.

Reply to
Marilyn Manson