what do I do with a 22 long rife bullet that did not fire

A bullet in the head would do well for you

Reply to
Kevin

When I was a kid many years ago, we would stick 22 shells in the mud by stock tanks. Back off a ways and shoot them with BB guns. The cases would go singing. I don't know if they split. I never found one.

Perhaps in an open fire they just lay there but with a half inch of mud acting as a barrel, they go flying.

Reply to
Andy Asberry

You can use a "bullet puller." It's a simple device used by [reloaders.] It consists of a hammer that at one end has a compression fitting where you insert the bullet. By 'hammering' the tool, the bullet is separated from it's casing without firing, thus rendering the bullet harmless.

Reply to
Zyp

Don't use an inertia bullet puller with rimfire cartridges. It could set them off. (works great with centerfire)

I use two pairs of diagonal-cutter pliers to pull the bullets out of .22 duds to melt them down later.

Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

You don't need a "tightly fitting compression chamber" at all. I've seen a .22 shell thrown down on a cement floor, it landed just right, blew off and shot a hole in the ceiling.

Cheers, Jim

Reply to
Jim2009

Was the ceiling 1 foot high and made of tissue paper? Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

And then you woke up and realized that it was a dream.

Reply to
Kuskokwim

Many gun people are "reloaders" who assemble their own shells. These people would know how to disassemble a bad one.

Reply to
Bert Byfield

With a .22 you can usually get the bullet out without any tools.

Just stick the lead end into the muzzle of a .22, twist and pull, you can almost always bend it apart just with your fingers.

Reply to
TimR