what coffee maker won't I have to repurchase in a few years?

Yeah, that's one nice think about Zojirushi, they're pretty good about spare parts, even small parts. I've got a bread maker, hot water boiler, and coffee maker from them. I'll likely replace the old rice cooker with a Zojirushi as well.

I seem to recall a review about that coffee maker that mentioned that it was one of the few where the hot water going up through a hose that passed through the water reservoir did not cool it so much to affect brewing. Still, I often flip the hot water spout back over the reservoir for a couple of minutes to recirculate the water to warm it up so the coffee is hotter.

Reply to
SMS

on 10/17/2009 7:17 PM (ET) Nate Nagel wrote the following:

Cuisinart has a model with no carafe. I have one. The only problem is that there is no carafe. To fill the the reservoir, you need a large measuring cup or some other container to fill it.

willshak

Black and Decker (!) has a line of halfway decent automatic drip coffee makers that, feature for feature, are about half the price of the brands that are better known for this category.

Reply to
salty

ANY tap. Yes, cold water is okay, while hot water is not.

Reply to
salty

B&D appliances are GEs

Reply to
willshak

The prices are not the same, regardless of who may have made them.

Reply to
salty

Nate Nagel wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news6.newsguy.com:

You could just run it through a sock. Then again, you would have to replace that too. You know how they get the holes at the big toe.

Reply to
Red Green

The answer: yes, no, definitely, maybe, and I don't know.

It all depends on your coffee needs.

I am the only person who drinks coffee in my house. I like strong coffee, so to make 12 oz. mug of coffee in the morning, I use 2 tbsp dark Starbucks coffee. One cup is all I make. Melitta #4 paper filter, but first the fine mesh screen out of a dead coffee maker. I leave the grounds for about a week, or until they fill the #4 filter, only adding two new fresh scoops of coffee to the grounds in the filter. When it gets full, I toss it and start again.

Werks fer me. One strong 12 oz. cup in the morning. If I drink two, I can't keep up with myself.

It's like life, just a matter of choice.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

As any connoisseur knows, the secret is the temperature of the water. If too hot, it leaches out the oil where the bitterness lies. Water from 180 to 190 is right. Percolated coffee above that temperature is bitter. Drip coffee brewed with too hot of water is also bitter, no matter the grounds.

YW

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

At last, a man who brews coffee properly. Kudos, Jon.

Reply to
SteveB

Hi, Boil what kind of water? I use multi-stage filtered/RO with UV light water. Drink only a cup un the morning. Rest of all day I drink all kind of tea.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

I have a Black and Decker coffee maker and thermal pot, no burner. I like it. It has a screw top you give 1/4 turn to pour. Was a good price at Target too. I bought it because of the metal pot; I kept breaking the stupid glass ones.

Reply to
Van Chocstraw

I looked on ebay and found this using the search terms Mr. Coffee Thermal"

If you have Goodwill stores in your area, it might be a place to find one. I don't know how you are about used items of this type. I inspected mine and it appeared to perhaps never been used, then I washed it thoroughly and repeatedly.

Reply to
celticsoc

I had a friend once who would only drink cold water from downstairs taps - the upstairs being typically gravity-fed via a holding tank, and she was paranoid about critters getting into the tank and dying :-)

Always been told the thing about hot, too, but I think it depends on the temperature of the water. I'll still drink hot water (in tea, coffee etc.) but only if it's been boiled first.

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules

As far as I know, boiling will do nothing to remove the lead.

Reply to
salty

Wouldn't have thought so - but it should get rid of any living nasties that may survive in the tank if the temperature's not high enough (although I've no idea how long the water needs to sit in the tank before it's an issue - with three kids in the house always wanting showers things circulate through pretty quickly :-)

I'm less bothered about non-living crap in there as I would have thought that's just as likely to be in the cold supply, too.

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules

I still have the old one that just died after 7-8 years in the garage , want me to send it to you ?? I have more important things to do than frig with an old coffee maker...Like watching paint dry...

Reply to
benick
40 posts and not one mention of a French Press.

I have a glass Bodum that feels fragile but makes a great pot. My weekend press is a Nissan stainless thermos press. It holds about 4-5 mugs. My work press is a Bodum clear insulated travel mug. It is ideal because my workplace requires clear bags, no pockets, etc.

I have a hot water dispenser both at home and at work, both using filtered water. I grind my beans every morning and it really is the best coffee going. And very quick / simple. I will never go back to electric or gas. Ever.

Buy a French Press.

Reply to
Thomas

I have several Bodums, and love the coffee that comes out of them. It really is a superior method to anything else. There are a few minor drawbacks, though. One is that once the coffee is brewed, you cannot let it stand in the Bodum, even for a few minutes, as it continues to get stronger and stronger. The other problem is if you need more than one or two cups of coffee. I don't think I've ever seen a 10 or 12 cup Bodum!

Reply to
salty

We finally gave up on "quality" coffee makers and just buy the Mr Coffee on sale and consider them to be disposable. When it craps out it is simply replaced with a new one which has already been purchased on sale.

Reply to
NickySantoro