A simple, insulated coffee mug?

Several years ago, maybe 10 or so, Cuisinart sold a coffee maker that came with no carafe, but instead had two insulated mugs. Over the years the first, then the second mug's seals failed.

I liked the mugs because the lid had just an o-ring seal and no threads. All one had to do was put the lid on in any position and push. Simple.

Also the lid had no cover over the opening that had to rotated, flipped or pushed in order to get a drink. Again, simple.

There wasn't even a handle. Very simple.

I've looked and looked and can't find one that simple. I even queried Thermos and they don't have anything. Does anyone know of any insulated mug available today that is, well, simple? Or have the lawyers won the battle of them protecting us from ourselves?

Reply to
Gordon Shumway

Hi, Don't have an old wool sock? Improvise.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

This one looks like it fits your needs>

Retired

Don't toy with my heart. :-)

The next to last image shows the lid has threads which are easy to cross-thread and there is a button that has to be pushed to drink.

Phooey!

Reply to
Gordon Shumway

As opposed to mugs that are so simple, they fail? Hey, it's yer money. ;)

nb

Reply to
notbob

gordon,

Is this what you want?

Dave M.

Reply to
David L. Martel

That's almost identical to what I have now except for the lid. Thanks.

Reply to
Gordon Shumway

It took over a decade of everyday use to fail. I'd say that was pretty damn good.

Reply to
Gordon Shumway

Seals without threads or o-rings. For insulation, wrap it in electrical tape.

Reply to
J Burns

I've seen those mugs. The thread is coarse and a monkey can screw it on and not cross thread. I don't know if the red button can be over ridden, but I bet it could.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Can't you get one with a cover over the opening and ram a screwdriver through the cover, repeatedly, until it's all gone? Then you wouldn't need to flip or push anything.

Reply to
micky

On Sat, 11 Apr 2015 19:19:59 -0400, "David L. Martel" wrote in

Metal jacket. Can't be put in a microwave for reheat.

Reply to
CRNG

A problem for you (and me) perhaps but the OP made no mention of a need to use the microwave. This looks like it fits the bill for him perfectly. In fact, he does say that

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

Can't you just replace the o-ring in the existing one?

Reply to
dpb

We currently have a Hamilton Beach that has a single-brew container of that type--if all else fails perhaps can find a replacement part from their site...

Reply to
dpb

Have it yer way. Me? I've never had a coffee cup fail. Ever! They must be TOO simple. ;)

nb

Reply to
notbob

It's not the o-ring that failed, it's the seal between the inner and outer portion of the mug itself. That failure significantly reduces the time it keeps the coffee hot. It can't be fixed.

Reply to
Gordon Shumway

My concern with the button, or similar devices, is the build-up of crud in and around them and the difficulty in keeping them clean.

Reply to
Gordon Shumway

I've had double layered plastic cups (with handles. Almost like mugs, except with vertical sides) fail. Water got inside one. Another got cracks They were very cheap. I don't know where I got them.

Reply to
micky

I looked and didn't see anything for replacement parts, even on the "Discontinued Products" pages. I will be calling them on Monday when they're open.

Reply to
Gordon Shumway