What are the rings for on a quick coupler?

Does anyone know what the rings are for on a quick coupler? These are the couplers to join hoses, they have two or three handles that you snap inwards to connect the hoses. The rings are on the ends of the handles. My best guess is that the rings are a way to pull the handles back out to disconnect but I wonder if I am missing something. I have found that if the handles are stuck too tight that the rings are very awkward to pull hard on.

Reply to
Reno

I think like many others who have read this, I have no idea what kind of "quick coupler" you're describing, nor what hoses is it used on. Air? Water? Hydraulic? I've never seen a quick coupler that has several handles on it, so I'm guessing it most be for some very large hoses?

Reply to
trader4

For what? Air, gas, fuel, water, all kinds of quick couplers for everything from a garden hose (very low pressure water) to the hoses used for refueling ships at sea (fairly high pressure heavy oil)! More info?

Reply to
terry

No, you are not missing anything. They are there for a way to get a grip on the latches (not 'handles').

I have used them on hydraulic connections (both oil and water)

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

What differance does it mater what the hoses are used for ?

Where I work there are hoses that use the same type of latches with the rings. I don't know what they are for, but they are on rubber hoses that are used for air and water. The outside of the hose may be from about 1/2 of an inch in diameter to some hoses that are about 3 or 4 inches in diameter. The larger hoses are flexable metal on the outside and carry small solid particals.

I just thought the rings are to get a good grip on to pull the latching handles up, but could be way off.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

The concrete guys loop a heavy cord through these loops and around the hose to tie the coupler shut. I assumed that was why they were there. It keeps them from snagging on something and popping open when they drag the hose around.

Reply to
gfretwell

For gardeners who want to get married ! :)

Reply to
1