What are the requirements for a device to be called "double insulated"?

Building inspector was happy to accept my degree in electrical engineering as making me competent to fit electrical sockets. It may have changed now.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Depending on exactly what changes "fitting sockets" involved it may or may no be notifiable and so require a competent person. In many situation fitting new sockets its not notifiable so an incompetent person is permitted to do the work....

... but should the work be notifiable, currently in England its not sufficient to be qualified, you must also be registered ...

Dave

Reply to
David Wade

I am not familar with England but take it is all ruled by the same laws.

In the US each state sets the rules for many things. For electrical work in the state I live in one can do most any electrical work in their own home. Other states can require a licensed person to do almost any electrical work.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Correct, but even if you do your own work it has to comply with the NEC to be legal.

I've seen some DIY that are scary, Saw a guy finishing off his basement and added a half dozen receptacles wired up with lamp cord. His wife thanked me when I told her.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

England, yes, but other countries in the United Kingdom, so Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland may have different rules.

Dave

Reply to
David Wade
[snip]

I had a friend who lost a house because of fire. The likely cause is wiring like that, done by a previous owner.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

Qualifications mean nothing. My neighbours roof burnt down because of the incoming feed, fitted by the power company.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Where did you get that nonsense from? What I read says you should do it well and get it inspected if you're not sure. If you sell your house and it's inspected by the buyer's people and it's not up to scratch, they can ask you put it right, or knock money off the price. Big deal. It's your house, you do what you like in it. I moved my own gas main.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

It's different in the UK. Some idiot put a nail through a cable in a kitchen, leaving the metal shelf it supported live. Somebody died.

Now, some (very simple) electrical jobs can be done by anyone but most must be done or immediately inspected by someone *licensed* (not necessarily either qualified or competent) by the government.

This, of course, does not guarantee that any particular sample of electrical work will be done well, but there's not really any way of assuring that by any means.

Reply to
Joe

I am in the UK, and I looked it up.

Why is he an idiot? Shit happens, you don't know where cables from a previous worker are.

Unlucky, but very rare.

Yeah right! How many people do you think get an electrician out just to install a new socket (outlet for yanks) in the wall?

So no point in the regulations.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey