What are my options for fixing this chewed up drip irrigation setup?

I *think* I have 3/4" PVC feeding the poly:

What would you suggest I connect to this elbow?

I was *thinking* of cutting off the elbow, and connecting a "T", and then from the T, screwing on *two* garden hose male threads (I figure if one is good, two must be better).

PS: I'm partial to garden hose connections because I can remove them easily when I get my kitchen-scrap compost location back in the winter.

Reply to
Danny D.

Thanks for noticing. It's usually only Oren who appreciates the softer, more artistic side of my OCD personality :)

Reply to
Danny D.

Here are the oaks which will be replanted somewhere:

I've never re-planted an oak before, but what I plan on doing is picking a spot on the hillside where the roots and crown won't be bothersome - and seeing if they can grow on their own.

Reply to
Danny D.

Hi Oren,

Ah, that's a good idea (I already have the raw materials for that!).

As for a more permanent fix, what do you think about me putting one of these 3/4" slip-to-MHT (male hose thread?) fittings directly onto the white-and-green part sticking out of the existing PVC elbow?

That seems to be a looser fit than a normal PVC pipe dry fit; but with lots of "glue", I think it might work.

Is it possible to pry out that green endcap & just place the slip fitting over the remaining white part? (Or do I need to cut off the entire elbow and start again with the slip:slip coupling)?

Reply to
Danny D.

i'd suggest using poly, which is very cheap and easily changed.

have you strewn the seeds, or planted in rows? you're eventually going to have to thin them out.

if it were me, i would have planted in rows, then thinned even further. run a length of poly down the edge of each row. tap that with 1/4" tubing, with a dripper at the end of each of those near each plant stem.

come winter, unplug the end of the poly from this fitting, roll up, and store out of the sun. the tubing will last longer if it's not in direct sun, but i have some that has been out in the phoenix sun for about 5 years without degradation (except for when the javelina want to chew on it).

Reply to
chaniarts

I will put all new "stuff" on there, as that's the only way I'll know how it is put together anyway.

What I *think* I'll do is replicate what "was" on the other elbow (of the other nearby tomato plot), which is a MHT garden-hose fitting (which had a soaker hose on it until the wife ripped it off in the mistaken believe that I put it there and that it was a thread, somehow, to the baby tomato plants):

Danny D.

ace it with something better. But what? One end is merely bent over and nai led to these boards:

755.jpg And, the other end has this cryptic glued? connection:
I've never worked on drip irrigation before, so I picked up all sorts of 3/4" connections at the box stores:
At H ome Depot, the guy told me that it's normal for the drip lines to simply pu sh in, but this end seems to be really really stuck. Another elbow nearby h as a NPT-to-Hose fitting on the end:
403769/img/13403769.jpg Would you suggest I simply cut the elbow off and st art fresh by putting a garden-hose connection on a T fitting? Note: The pla nts are tomatoes, which are just now sprouting, so it has to be a gentle ir rigation. I think a soaker hose may be too heavy - but I'm not sure what my options are.
Reply to
hrhofmann

ace it with something better. But what? One end is merely bent over and nai led to these boards:

755.jpg And, the other end has this cryptic glued? connection:
I've never worked on drip irrigation before, so I picked up all sorts of 3/4" connections at the box stores:
At H ome Depot, the guy told me that it's normal for the drip lines to simply pu sh in, but this end seems to be really really stuck. Another elbow nearby h as a NPT-to-Hose fitting on the end:
403769/img/13403769.jpg Would you suggest I simply cut the elbow off and st art fresh by putting a garden-hose connection on a T fitting? Note: The pla nts are tomatoes, which are just now sprouting, so it has to be a gentle ir rigation. I think a soaker hose may be too heavy - but I'm not sure what my options are.

Your photo showing "oak sprouts" doesn't look anything like I would have ex pected to see if it were showing real oak sprouts. What makes you think th e plants are oak sprouts??? Tomatoes like a good soaking of the soil about every 4 -5 days, and the more sun the better. At least half a day of suns hine.

Reply to
hrhofmann

I was wondering about that.

Why doesn't anyone just take a length of 3/4" PVC and drill a few holes in it?

Seems to me the cheapest and strongest method.

I guess the only downside is you need a drill press to make it efficient.

Reply to
Danny D.

I had not even thought of that, but it has the advantage that the drip lines would all radiate from the same point, so the water flow should be even, right?

Reply to
Danny D.

She has threatened to lock the gate to the tomato garden!

Reply to
Danny D.

She "strew" them (strowed them?), so they're all scattered about.

(She doesn't have a whole lotta' patience like I do.)

Reply to
Danny D.

I had not realized this. No wonder they had been buried. Thanks for that tidbit.

I have others popping out of the ground scattered about the yard that I was wondering what they do.

I'll snap a picture in the morning for you.

Reply to
Danny D.

Wow. Nice job! I did miss that. I don't know what "seasoning" is (I'll have to look up the thread); but wow. It looks great! (And it started off looking horrid.)

I like the way you assembled the photos (with the white border).

Did you use Paint.NET freeware on Windows for the DIY photo?

PS: I'm a Windows/Linux freeware junkie; have been a freeware addict for decades; so, I pretty much should know most of the good stuff. The only thing you ever need to buy is MS Office; and even then, only to be 100% compatible with the proletariat who use Windows exclusively. :)

Reply to
Danny D.

Hmmm... they're under an oak tree (which bears acorns). And, they "look" like the same leaves. But, that's all I had to go by.

Having seen the majestic deeply lobate oaks of the east coast, I do understand the leaf does not look like your common eastern oaks ... but I still "think" it's an oak (due to the fact that the momma bears acorns - and I don't know any other tree that does that but an oak).

If it's not an oak, what is it?

Googling ... I see this Coast Live Oak:

Or, maybe this Blue Oak:

And, these common-to-California oaks:

And, even these native California oaks:

Almost none of which have the classic East-Coast lobate leaf shape.

Reply to
Danny D.

Oren knows his huckleberries!

They were directly under a big evergreen oak. Actually, they were under a big evergreen thing that produced acorns. And, I think acorns are only made by oaks. Right?

Besides, the leaves don't look much different than this:

And, the branches are kind of gnarly like this:

So, I "think" it's an evergreen red oak species.

Reply to
Danny D.

Ah. Thanks. I had never seen those before. My water is somewhat hard (I think it's 14 ppm Calcium.) Certainly the coffee pot gets that white film in just a week (removed with vinegar).

Reply to
Danny D.

Every spring when I turn on the watering system again, I go through to see what needs to be replaced, and what is still working well. I guess after setting this up originally, I'm just so used to repairing something that wears out I just do it automatically.

One thing about that tubing is that it tends to wear out at the point that you have a dripper or plug, so I've figured out that I just have to cut off about a 1/2 inch where it was connected by worn out and re-attach the original dripper.

btw, that turbing looks like it was damaged by a shovel. I'd probably just cut out the damaged section and connect the 2 pcs with a straight pronged connector if doing that wouldn't make it so the sprinkler on the other end too short.

Good luck on your new set-up!

Reply to
Natural - Smoking Gun - Girl

For tomatoes I've always liked using these sprinklers because they are adjustable:

or

It's attached to a 1/4 inch water tubing that is fed via the 1/2 inch main line tubing. The heads on it turn to allow more or less water to drip or sprinkle. I use one per bit planter, or 1 between 2 tomato plants.

Reply to
Natural - Smoking Gun - Girl

If I were you I'd connect a fitting that had a shut off valve there, and then connect your tubing to the shut-off valve. :D

Reply to
Natural - Smoking Gun - Girl