Well dropping pressure

I live in a house that has a well and it has been doing this for a while but lately seems to have gotten worse. While running the water, doesn't matter if it is a sink, shower or the washing machine, all of a sudden the water pressure will drop off completly, on the gauge with nothing running it shows about 45 psi, and when it does this it will drop down to 0. I recently had a hot water heater installed and after that it seemed to have gotten worse, also right now I have a leaky faucet to fix. Does anyone know what could be the cause of this, it is really starting to worry me. Thanks in advance Matt

Reply to
powersplash93

Sounds like your pressure tank is waterlogged.

Reply to
TH

Nope. Waterlogged tank causes short cycling of the pump, not the problem he is seeing.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Having been through that myself recently it sounds like the small riser pipe to the pressure switch is plugged up. Mine started doing that - dropping off to zero, pause, pump start, back to normal pressure - Then the pauses kept getting longer. I finally figured it out when I watched it through a cycle. When the pump came on it would go _way_ over pressure (as in pegged at 100 psi) before it would shut off.

Pulled the switch and the 1/8" pipe was plugged almost solid with crud. Had to drill it it out to clear it.

Try that. It is not a major operation and doesn't take lone to disconnect the switch (turn the pump power off!) and unscrew it.

Ignore any replies on the order of 'the tank is waterlogged' - it isn't.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

I agree about the plugged 1/8" pipe. Common problem. Another thing, the pressure gauge itself may be clogged where it screws in, or its failing. If the pump cycles properly and water pressure seems ok, it's probably just the gauge. If this was my problem, I'd remove both the pressure switch and the gauge, and be sure both are not clogged. If the gauge is sticking, just replace it. They are under $10. Rather than unclog that 1/8" pipe, I'd replace that too. Costs a buck.

Reply to
plumbingservice

Replace the pipe: Yep, that was my plan but then my memory span only lasts a few seconds apparently. I unplugged it originally to save a trip to town at that time with the intention of buying a spare riser my next trip. Many, many trips later and I still don't have that spare. Maybe I can remember this time.

Anyone on a well system should also have a spare pressure switch. They are not spendy and it is nice to be able to put the system back in operation in a few minutes at oh dark 30 in a blizzard.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K