Welding distance to a fixture?

I have a shower balancer that requires threaded inlet pipes and outlet pipe. (It is a Moen that has some mechanism to keep the water temp the same even if the laundry is used or toilet is flushed.) I can use some length of threaded pipe but will need to do some soldering. How far away from the balancer should I keep the soldering to ensure that the balancer is not damaged? Would putting a bag of ice over the balancer help or just screw up the soldering?

Reply to
Bill

Solider the MIP ( threaded inlet pipes ) on a length of copper pipe, Then screw it in shower valve ( balancer) This should keep the rest of you solider work a little farther away from the valve. It still would be wise to use the wet rag around the valve. If you want to screw a piece of pipe into the valve make sure you use brass. Any iron pipe can cause electrolysis, If you are tying into Iron you need a Dielectric union or nipple. The nipple is easier, basically piece of pipe with plastic liner.

Reply to
Sacramento Dave

Take a WET Rag and wind it tightly around the component you wish to protect from the heat. This limits the temperature rise to 100 C ( 212 F ) the boiling point of water becouse at this temperature the process stops being Sensible ( A rise in temperature ) and becomes Latent ( A change of Phase )

HAVE A NICE DAY SAILOR

Reply to
Guttersnipe