Weird electrical problem

OK, I said I'd post back with an update. As luck would have it, before I changed out the backstabbed outlets, the overhead light burned out in the suspect room. When I went to change it, the glass was broken away from the metal. I got pliars and got the old one out and replaced it with new and the dimming has stopped for now. I don't know if that's it, but I'm not going any further until it starts again. Anyone know if and why a damaged light bulb could have caused my problems?

Reply to
Mark Corbelli

If the bulb's filament was shorted hot to ground, even partially, that could cause the other device son the same circuit to dim. Sounds like a long shot, but I have seen it happen (fuse blows when you drop a work light, etc. as the filament shorts itself)

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

You need to replace the lamp socket. A loose connection is causing a resistive heating effect, and that is what caused the bulb to break, and also what caused it to flicker.

Reply to
hvacrmedic