Way OT: Fort Hood

From what I've read, Washington put a lot of effort into making sure that prisoners were well treated...he was pained and angry at the abuses inflicted by the British, who often slaughtered prisoners. I believe Washington also sent a high-ranking officer to bring Andre to where he stood trial.

Reply to
norminn

I'm from Birmingham, AL and I would like to point out a little fact that seems to escape the minds of most people outside of the Southeast. The Negro protesters were sprayed with water, not bullets! When are Liberal morons going to comprehend that simple fact. I know people who were there during the hyped up so call race riot. The whole thing encompassed a few square blocks of downtown Birmingham and most of the citizenry had no idea that anything had happened until it was all over and the sky is falling national news media produced their typical extortion of the truth. It is true that terrible things were done to Negro Americans in the past but not by me or my family members. My Southern ancestors were Southern Republicans who were the abolitionists and the Klan members were Democrats who supported slavery. I'll never understand how Democrats have pulled the wool over the eyes of Negro Americans and kept them enslaved with their policies and programs that have made a group American people so dependent on the government that it has destroyed their family groups and culture. Excuse me, I have a lynching to attend. GEEZ!

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Now that's a gun. *snicker*

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Correct. The various international protocols and conventions DO define a critter they call a "Lawful Enemy Combatant," (carries arms openly, wears a uniform or distinctive insignia, etc.). Solely by extension, if one does not conform to the definition of "Lawful..." it is reasonable to conclude that person is an "Unlawful ..." Further, the U.S. Supreme Court did categorize the German spys as "Unlawful..." and I suppose that's mainly how the term got into common use.

He can be BOTH a criminal murderer AND a UEC. Just like, if deemed a murderer, he can be tried by a) The military, b) The federal court system, or c) The state of Texas. Being one does not preclude also being the other.

As for his "rights," if he is deemed a UEC - and it is solely a discretionary designation by the president - he may have only those the president is willing to allow. The president's Article II powers place anyone designated an UEC at the unfettered discretion of the president. His ONLY remedy, as the federal courts have held, is "that the president be replaced at the next election."

Reply to
HeyBub

Agreed. "Unlawful Enemy Combatant" is a fairly recent co "Lawful combatants are subject to capture and detention as prisoners of war by opposing military forces. Unlawful combatants are likewise subject to capture and detention, but in addition they are subject to trial and punishment by military tribunals for acts which render their belligerency unlawful...an enemy combatant who without uniform comes secretly through the lines for the purpose of waging war by destruction of life or property, are familiar examples of belligerents who are ...offenders against the law of war subject to trial and punishment by military tribunals."

Andre WAS tried, as you remember, by 14 general officers

But as for appeals by Major Andre, the only "appeal" that took place was his request to Washington to be executed by firing squad rather than hanging. Washington declined Andre's request.

Andre was captured September 23, 1780. He was convicted on September 29th, and was hanged on October 2, 1780.

From arrest to execution: nine days.

Reply to
HeyBub

-snip-

I don't know how widely used it was. I spent a year in Vietnam - about 1/2 of it in a Battalion communication center & we dealt every day with mothers and kids trying to kill Marines. We called them civilians- and treated them as such if captured. Sometimes, in the heat of the moment they would be killed. Then we called them Viet Cong, for the most part.

I don't doubt the term was floating around before 2001-- but I'd love to see a cite.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

See Hey Bub's post about the Supremes using it. You only asked for one cite and I am really lazy so I shall defer to him (grin).

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

Douglas Johnson wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Maybe you should read it again.

sorry,but data is showing this was an act of Muslim terrorism. His PowerPoint presentation,the money trail to Pakistan,and his emails to Al-Qaida.

You're in denial.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Jim Yanik wrote in news:Xns9CC358EB8D655jyaniklocalnetcom@216.168.3.44:

Let's not glorify this crime. Simply a deranged mind with access to weapons. That the derangement was helped by islamic idiots doesn't make it deserving of holy war connotations - it still is a criminally insane act of mass murder. By a psychiatrist, no less. The profession (such as it is) has some cleaning up to do.

Again, just y opinion, YMMV.

Reply to
Han

I doubt that NYC is all that happy to have it. All that extra security will be essentially an unfunded fed mandate. It will attract every whacko in the world to the city to make a statement. The protesters will tie up resources and make finding the whackos that much harder. These are the guys that the military tribunals were made for. Put them in the middle of an Army base and try the bastards entirely on the Fed's dime. Ft. Irwin, IIRC, is the biggest in area base. Out in the relative middle of nowhere and the defendants would feel right at home on the desert.

Reply to
Kurt Ullman

clipped

There are crazies in every profession, and mental health probably attracts a few more than others....molded by personal experience. A lot of cops were junior hoodlums who evaded prosecution but still like guns.

Reply to
norminn

What is wrong with leaving them in Gitmo and be tried there? Oh, I forgot, we are closing Gitmo and letting Russia have the base. They are already moving into Cuba in large numbers. (or haven't you heard)

Reply to
Chuck

Could you point me at appropriate section and paragraph numbers? The only exception I've been able to find is citizens of nations that have not signed the convention. What are the others?

I can't think of anything I am in denial about, but that's the nature of denial, isn't it? So specifically what? He may have been motivated to commit terrorism, but it was still an ordinary crime. In fact, terrorism is an ordinary crime by the same penal code.

Yes, I know terrorists are out to kill us. Some are Muslim, some aren't. I have faith in our Constitution. I believe it has survived far worse threats and is perfectly capable of protecting all of us while serving out justice to those that need it.

-- Doug

Reply to
Douglas Johnson

The base ain't closing, just the prison. (maybe). The Russians ain't moving in. They are even more broke than Uncle Sam. Where are you hearing all this crap?

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

aemeijers wrote in news:mLSdnWRT4eOWvWLXnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

the Russians are building a naval base in Venezuela,they would LOVE to have a (ready-made) base right next to the US,able to control the entire Gulf Of Mexico.

BTW,you're out of date about the Russians being "broke";they have been getting lots of revenue from their oil and gas sales.

They've been spending it on rebuilding their military.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

God didn't say "Thou shalt not kill," He said "Thou shalt not murder." If your Bible says the former, you have a poor translation. The "eye for an eye" business means that the punishment should fit the crime. Further, if you study the Decalogue, you'll find there are no punishments for violation of any of the Big Ten.

Now as to Jews, Christians, and Muslims regarding their respective holy books. The Jew's Bible is agnostic regarding heaven and the Jew concentrates on making this world a better place. The Christian wants to go to heaven and, fortunately for him, his sins have been pre-forgiven by the sacrifice of Christ. It's a whole different deal with Islam.

Entrance to Paradise, for the Muslim, must be EARNED. Just about the only way to earn a place in heaven is to expand the reach of Islam. The easiest way to expand the reach of Islam is by subjugating non-believers (the word "Islam" means "submission") or simply killing them.

Reply to
HeyBub

Why would we relinquish a 99 year lease of this base?!!

Fidel hasn't cashed a check since the Kennedy days. Was the lease for a dollar a year?

Reply to
Oren

Yeah? What about subjecting the detainees to Barry Manilow music? Eh?

Well, what about it?

Reply to
HeyBub

I'd say that is cruel and unusual punishment :o)

Reply to
norminn

The 3%or so that isnt' siphoned off by corruption and sent to Swiss Bank accounts. Article a few days ago about how the Ruskies are finally starting to accrue currency again after having budgeted their government for $80 bbl oil and having gone deeply in the hole..

Even when they don't have it.

Reply to
Kurt Ullman