Water heater exhaust pipe question

Yesterday, to save the install charges, friend and I put in a water heater in the basement of my house. The new heater is 1 inch higher than the old one. Hooked it up okay, doesn't look like anything is leaking. Used the existing exhaust pipe that goes to the chimney. Instructions say the pipe needs to slant 1/4 inch per foot downward from the chimney to the water heater. Problem now is, since the new heater is taller, the pipe is just about on a level run from the heater to the chimney. Questions: Is it okay to have the pipe running level? What harm, if any will arise in either the operation of the system, or the environment of the house? Will the heat not rise efficiently? Etc. Thanks for your help, Bill

Reply to
billk_york

It is NOT ok! The rise from heater to stack must be 1/4" to 1/2" per foot to ensurecombustion by-products are exhausted. Take it apart, get some tin snips and cut something, usually the pipe that goes to the roof. Don't delay! This is important.

Reply to
Joe Fabeitz

Put in a good Co detector, and fix the exaust pipe.

Reply to
m Ransley

Most likely you need to shorten the pipe that rises. The sharper the rise the better the draw.

To test for proper venting. With the main burner burning stick a burning match at the edge of the draft hood and slowly move it under it. If you have a proper draft the match will continue to burn and draw toward the chimney. If it blows out, you have a serious problem that should be corrected immediately. CO kills. Do it right or call a pro.

best wishes

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt

Reply to
Don Young

The slope on the pipe is so the condensate (water vapor) that is contained in the flue gas from the heater will drain back toward the heater and not lay in the vent pipe and rust it out. You should use double wall type "B" vent pipe in any unconditioned space (un-heated) to minimize the condensation effect.

Reply to
Dana

Reply to
Don Young

Hi Dana, hope you are having a nice day

On 28-Sep-04 At About 13:08:19, Dana wrote to All Subject: Re: Water heater exhaust pipe question

D> From: "Dana"

D> The slope on the pipe is so the condensate (water vapor) that is D> contained in the flue gas from the heater will drain back toward the D> heater and not lay in the vent pipe and rust it out. You should D> use double wall type "B" vent pipe in any unconditioned space D> (un-heated) to minimize the condensation effect.

Actually the first answer was correct. it is to allow for proper venting. if you have condensate in the flue you have a major problem.

-=> HvacTech2

Reply to
HvacTech2

Hi Don, hope you are having a nice day

On 28-Sep-04 At About 12:22:41, Don Young wrote to All Subject: Re: Water heater exhaust pipe question

DY> From: "Don Young"

DY> I don't believe any slight slope such as 1/4" per foot in a DY> horizontal flue ssection will have any detectable effect on the DY> venting, certainly not in a short run. Draft is almost entirely a DY> function of the vertical section(s) of the vent and the flue gas DY> temperature rise. Flue condensate, particularly during startup in DY> cold weather is not uncommon although definitely not present during DY> continuing operation of a proper vent. Don Young "HvacTech2"

Sorry but you are wrong here. the slope is to allow for venting and has nothing to do with condensation as there is none. without that slope the flue gases would enter the house as they would spill out of the diverter. the flue gases will not vent downhill and need that slope to allow them to vent up the chimney.

-=> HvacTech2

Reply to
HvacTech2

Reply to
Dana

replying to m Ransley, John wrote: The exaust pipe was scorching hot! Why?

Reply to
John

Assuming it's a conventional gas WH using a galvanized metal exhaust pipe, it's hot because it's burning nat gas. The newer direct vent WHs use PVC and those are warm, but not so hot you can't touch them.

Reply to
trader_4

John posted for all of us...

How old is this post? I haven't seen Ransley around... Did he get gerbilized?

Reply to
Tekkie®

question-545989-.htm

Ransley's post was August 18, 2004. Typical HomeMoanersHub-type response. Dates mean nothing to those people. (You can always check the link they include...)

Reply to
Sam Hill

Sam Hill posted for all of us...

I don't mess with that site; go or pay attention to it.

Reply to
Tekkie®

You asked a question; I answered it for you. Now you know how to do it for yourself next time.

Reply to
Sam Hill