Water from faucet tastes "weird"

The water that comes out of our Kitchen Faucet tastes strange from time to time... almost a moldy type taste. All other faucets in the house put out good drinking water with no taste. We're on a deep well with no water problems other then the taste.

Could this be a problem with the piping in the way from the well pump to the kitchen? Or more likely in the faucet itself? Any way I can clean them out without calling a pro? Help appreciated!

Reply to
masinick

It's not unusual for well water piping to develop vaious kinds of slime or other buildup due to organisms present in the water and also due to the water not being chlorinated.

Bacterial growth (not necessarily dangerous kinds) can become prolific in piping which sees little flow, especially any section which has a "dead end" stub of unused pipe.

Short of wholesale pipe and fixture replacement, one would have to consider treating the water or (just one example) treating the water heater to see if that helps.

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

You have to study your plumbing a bit. Is the kitchen far away from the well or is it the closest fixture to the well. My kitchen is at the end of the line the farthest away from the well as possible in which case I could install a filter under that sink just for that drinking.

If the kitchen is closer to the tank then you could install a whole house filter which can be done in either case actually. One thing you should do is have your water tested. You can call around to find someone to test it for you. This will give you the hard data you need to make the best decisions concerning how to treat your water. Your water should never taste bad but that's not a hard fact that can be used to design a treatment solution.

For myself, I just have hard water and everthing else about my water is fine. I did have a bit of sediment. My solution was to install a water softener and a whole house filter. None of these things take a lot of plumbing skills to install just the ability to go without water while the install occurs.

Reply to
Lawrence

When I lived in upstate, NY I had a similiar problem. A green slime builup in the gaskets for the old faucet was causing a wierd taste. After replacing the faucet and the copper tubing for the supply water with flex hose.......problem solved. The water tasted great.

Reply to
avid_hiker