Washing machine transmission for GE Model WWA8829RBLWW

On 6/13/2014 5:36 PM, Guv Bob wrote: ...

I've no source but there's little that's not just a "deadahead" process in swapping one out...

Reply to
dpb

This excellent long-time washer started leaking oil a few years ago and turned out that it needed a new transmission. Replacement cost would have been around $240 plus labor, so I covered it up and got a new one - GE Model WHRE5550K1WW.

Have been very disappointed with the WHRE. Long list of complaints, but in a nutshell, it doesn't get the clothes clean, leaves them wet and allows water to stand in the pump/drain piping which has to be cleaned every month or mold will form and stink.

Anyway.... the transmission for the WWA is no longer carried at the place where I got the original price, so I would have to root around to see if it's available in someone's local stock.

G.E. (OEM) Part #WH38X53 Transmission

81 When they stocked it, the price was $226.40 plus shipping.

I'm wondering if anyone knows a good place that might have something like this, and if it's a decent DIY project that doesn't require special tools or an extra elbow.

Bob

Reply to
Guv Bob

Having had one of those, I feel yer pain. Best GEs ever. I fixed mine a few times, replacing a tub seal, a relay, and a motor. Sadly, hadda sell when I moved. This 6 yrs ago.

I see now, very few parts available. No entire trannies. This is so sad, as the newer washers are all junk/crap. Even 2nd hand appliance shops can no longer make a go of it for lack of parts. I would suggest looking in want-ads, free "penny saver" circulars, and bulletin boards for ppl moving. They sell dirt cheap or jes plain give away for free to avoid paying disposal fees when moving. You might find a useable/good machine to salvage parts from. Good luck.

8|

nb

Reply to
notbob

Is this it?

You have to go to Canada to buy it because they don't ship to the U.S.. Unless you know someone in Canada that you can ship it to and then they can ship it to you.

Maybe you could latch on to one of those group trips to Canada where they go to buy less expensive prescription medications.

Reply to
sms