wall prep for paint

Hi All,

Redoing a house. I started in the bedrooms by patching and filling holes prior to painting. While working on the walls, the old paint (about 15 years old) would "wrinkle" where I was working. I worked a trowel under the old latex paint layer and I can just peel the paint off the wall - almost zero adhesion.

The original wall surface has a chalky-like quality to it. What can I do to prep these walls for proper paint adhesion? Perhaps a TSP wash?

Any pointers really appreciated.....

Greg

Reply to
Greg Hunter

Is it your house or are you working there. You have a possibly a big probem , if the water in the compound affected the old paint it was likely crap and put over a unprepped surface, , dirty, gloss or greasy. Chalky? , sounds like both coats are cheap paint. Id try painting an area and see if it drys ok. Or scrape it all off and do it right. No easy answer, if its a job stop and talk to the owner before you are blamed. If its your place well its best to remove bad paint. An oil primer would possibly not affect the undercoat, Oil not alcohol base. But you are still seeling in crap it may or may not work. Thats what happens when people buy the cheapest , dont prep and think painting is just painting.

Reply to
m Ransley

It would help if you said what the old wall is. Plaster? Drywall?

Does the "chalky-like quality" rub off? If so, get rid of it and then prime. If not, prime. Oil base primer.

-- dadiOH _____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.0... ...a help file of info about MP3s, recording from LP/cassette and tips & tricks on this and that. Get it at

dadiOH

This house is a rental I maintain. It was so odd watching the top coat come off in sheets - reminded me of plastic food wrap only ten times thicker. I've scraped all the latex off and I'll try some experiments.....

Thanks.

Greg

Reply to
Greg Hunter

It's old, very old sheetrock. Thanks for the info.

Greg

Reply to
Greg Hunter

Are you sure it's not Kalsomine that has the chalk-like quality? If so any latex paint over the top will eventually flake off in sheets. I'd suggest you get off what you can (washing, scraping, etc) and then prime with a shellac-based sealer.

Reply to
FeelFree