Wall-mounted toilets

I am interested in a wall-mounted toilet in a new second bathroom. They come with a reservoir inside the wall.

They are expensive but save space. My friend says that they also make it very easy to clean the bathroom.

Any experience with them that you could share would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Deguza

Reply to
Deguza

What do you have at work? Talk to the maintenance guys that take car of them if that is what you have.

Ed Pawlowski

Unless you have a small closet as the bath, they don't save that much space to offset the higher cost. They offer no maintenance advantage and in fact, would need to tear open the wall if work needs to be completed on the pipes and/or flushing mechanism

Reply to
Hawk

I have one. There is the reality that only a few companies that make them and they go out with different brand names. The biggest advantage is it is easier to mop the floor since you can get under the bowl. It does save a little space but you need a 6" deep wall. You can replace everything but the tank through the hole in front where the flush plate is. The valve and float are all one assembly.

gfretwell

And what would you use that small space for anyway? It's right above the crapper. A tank top can serve as a small shelf too.

Reply to
trader_4

One in the church parsonage. It's a pita as difficult to keep seal owing to the torque since doesn't sit on the floor.

Problem was there wasn't sufficient extra bulk planned for in the wall framing to be as rigid a mount as it needs.

Just trying to hang it on a regular wall won't be likely to be successful long run given my experience there.

Wouldn't mess with one myself, but everybody has to make their own call.

Reply to
dpb

The issue is when the space in front of the bowl does not meet code, typically 21" or so. If you can recess that tank in the wall you get

10-12". In my case it made the bathroom "accessible" (ADA) by giving us wheelchair clearance.
Reply to
gfretwell

That might be a problem with a wood floor but in my case the steel frame is anchored in concrete with four 1/2" red heads. The top of the frame is still anchored to the 2x6 framed wall. There is also a flexible joint between the tank and bowl and the bowl and the drain.

Reply to
gfretwell

And thus, a very good reason to have one installed. Otherwise, I don't see much advantage other than aesthetics.

Reply to
Hawk

It easier to clean around too. That is the main selling point for commercial. You are not trying to mop around a fixed object.

Reply to
gfretwell

On the other hand, the average weight of US men has increased from 166 pounds in 1960 to 195 today. If we can't anchor a wall toilet securely there are problems ahead. And behind.

Reply to
TimR

This thing was rated at 350 pounds.

Reply to
gfretwell

Thank you all for the valuable discussion.

Deguza

Reply to
Deguza

But also opens an area to get dirty in order to have to clean it. ;)

Reply to
Hawk