The rough in includes blocking so that the bolts that hold the toilet to the wall will have something to bite into. Very important. You need to decide exactly which unit you want and download or order the rough-in diagram for that particular unit.

Reply to
Robert Allison

Sac Dave

These wall hung units are held in place with cast iron carriers that are bolted to the floor behind the wall. The costs are higher for the fixture, the carrier, and the volute piping involved. These units only come with flush valves to my knowledge, which will require 1" water lines. You are correct that they are done for sanitary and custodial purposes. They are very common in commercial work, public facilities, and schools.

Reply to
DanG

I know it's not what you are asking about, but my house once had a two piece toilet where the tank was mounted to the wall and the bowl was mounted on the floor. A large plastic 90 connected the tank to the back of the bowl.

It was in a "barely finished" basement bathroom with the tank bolted directly to the block wall. It's the only one like that that I ever saw - except for the European style with the tank way up high on the wall.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

That well describes current COMMERCIAL wall-hungs. However, at least 30 years ago, they also did sell residential wall-hungs that used conventional plumbing and had their own water tank. All the ones I ever saw were the low-slung decorator one-piece units. You did need to reinforce the wall, but I truly don't remember if they had a special plate, or were just lagged off to a 2x nailer in the wall, like a wall-mount sink is (or should be). I understand they were more prone to clogs, due to the tight 90 right at the mounting point, unless you made a deep wall for them.

I haven't been in a REAL plumbing store in 20 years, nor looked through the plumbing part of a Sweets catalog in about as long. (Presumably those are on CD or web site now?)

Google Google Google

Yep, Eljer still has them, but none of the other major brands like A/S or Kohler appear to, but the choices seem fewer (and the prices are absurdly high). Guess the fad died down, or people rich enough for custom bathrooms are getting fatter. (Unless wall was reinforced, there was flex when a large person sat down. A common callback was people standing on them to reach something, and levering them loose.)

aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers