wall heater question

I've got a Louisville tin & Stove co. vented wall heater that suddenly isn't working

it's a model cf353-a built in 8/91 Serial 91090179 with a built in fan, 24V

The pilot works alright, but the heater is not firing up. Last week, when it first stopped heating my house, i replaced the thermostat, but it didn't do any good. Then i shut off the gas and after a few days gave it another try and it worked for a few days then petered out again.

Any ideas on what the problem is?

the gas valve, maybe or ?

the gas valve is a robertshaw grayson7000 AERB-5-57C I've noticed that a replacement is in the $200 range

If you think that the problem is with the gas valve, can they be rebuilt for less $? or are there generic versions that work as well?

I'm a high school teacher and $200 is more than I can afford right now. Any sound advice will be greatly appreciated.

John Ausin, Texas

Reply to
Johnson

Does your particular heater have a thermo coupler (coupling?) ? That's what the problem was when the pilot light was runing OK but my boiler refused to fire up last year. If you know an HVAC guy or someone incredibly handy, there's a way to tell if that's your problem. Unfortunately, I don't kow what it is to maybe get you off the hook cheap.

AJS

Reply to
AJScott

check with the school custodian, if you have a gas fired boiler at school then he is probably an operatinal engineer... and can give you info on what you need.. these guys will not give you anything but ridicule... they will tell you to call a pro??? like they are pros??? bunch of trade school guys trying to feel important................

Reply to
jim

One of two things...the gas valve, or a tripped safety.

Could be....could be a bad thermocouple...enough milivolts to hold the pilot open, but not enough to allow for the main valve to open. Is the gas valve wired in with the 24VAC transformer? If so, do you have power on the secondary side of the transformer?

Umm...no. Where are you looking?

You dont rebuild those..

Sure...are you in the central NC area? If so, let me know and we can come by...for free..(Bite my ass Jim) and check it out for you...if its a tripped safety switch, we will even find out why....also..for free... Again...bite my ass Jim..

Reply to
CBhvac

And your excuse is?? Whats your credentials? Post em big boy..

Reply to
CBhvac

Sure jim. However if you bothered to read the replay left before yours, you would have seen that John got the most likely answer. Too bad you could not offer any useful suggestions. CBhvac added additional good information.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Whups...aint in my service area...LOL

Reply to
CBhvac

this is turtle.

awwwww , johnson is a 7 hour drive one way on InterState 10 from me in Louisiana here. Awwwww Johnson e-mail me for your a lttle far off for a freebee. i'm not joking here Johnson e-mail me and i will try to go over it with you to see. I do a lot of freebee for School teachers here for i contract to the School Board a lot and feel like doing something good for someone who does try to bring up the Stupid level up in this area ,but not over a hour or two drive. I have my limits. snipped-for-privacy@worldnetla.nets Remove the ''s'' to get the right address.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

This is Turtle.

The other except Jim have given some good ideals but if you have wall furnace and it is controlled by 24 volts. I will say i see a lot of intermitten failures on these as the fan motor is stopping or getting hot and shutting down and on some or a lot of these you have to have the fan working for it will get too hot and shut down on High temperature safety high. The motor is located at the top and usely is a double shaft 1/8 th HP . Some have oil holes and other don't.

E-mail me and i can try to go over it with you. snipped-for-privacy@worldnetla.nets Remove the ''s'' to get correct address. And no i'm not coming over there to work on it for it just too far.

TURTLE

P.S. One note here ; that Austin is just a plain nice place to live in. Most everybody you meet on the street can read, write , and says how you doing?.

Reply to
TURTLE

Reply to
john_johnson