Well I searched on blindness guano and didn't find anything.
Are you telling me you know that it doesn't cause blindness? Or you
know something about this?
Maybe I got mixed up and it causes deafness.
Maybe Pinochet somehow got all the webpages with this story removed?
Although an easier technique would be to put something in the
websearch engines to exclude certain results. That's why I used
google and yahoo this time, and neither had anything (in the first 50
I'd send a copy of this to my brother, but he doesn't have email.
mm wrote:That blindness guano can occur saw it on tv recently....
The eye doc sad so you have been exposed to bats or whatever.
Lady didnt know of the problem till that....
didnt go blind but it was possible
She must have gotten a lot less bat stuff than the ones who work 40-80
hours a week in guano (bat droppings) caves. So that makes it seem
like my brother was right, so why does google not have anything about
it. Is everything about it too old to be computerized?
I'm sure. But I'm still more interested in the relationship between
histo and blindness. Turns out there is ocular histoplasmosis.
Too tired to hunt more, Bill, but it seems there is definitely a
relationship between bats and blindness (LOL). I don't know if it is
in the guano or not, but I only said "guano miners".
I don't know why blindness and histoplasmosis give hits, and
histoplasmosis and bats give hits, but guano and blindness doesn't.
Maybe there are hits but they're too far down the list. Histo and
blindness gave about 49,000 hits, but searching for all 3 gave only
Here are 3:
"In another, 14 healthy young college students developed
histoplasmosis when they were exposed to bat guano in a cave in
"Though bat guano has been sold as a fertilizer and can be useful in
some situations, bat droppings are also a major breeding ground for
histoplasmosis. Histoplasmosis is a fungus disease contracted through
airborne spores in bat droppings. Histoplasmosis symptoms may be
anything from a mild influenza to blood abnormalities and fever, or
even death. An eye condition has been linked to the bat disease
histoplasmosis and can lead to blindness in those who contract it. "
6. Lenhart S. Recommendations for Protecting Workers from Histoplasma
capsulatum Exposure During Bat Guano Removal from a Church's Attic.
Appl Occup Environ Hyg 1994; 9:230-6.
If they have to protect workers from it, ...
My impression is that blindness is an infrequently occurring outcome.
You have to protect workers from a lot of things. You have to protect them
from sawdust these days, to take one example.
One of the "house disaster" programs on TLC had a segment on a woman
who bought a house (without an inspection) that turned out to have
major things wrong with it, and enormous expense was required to
fix it. One of the problems was a major bat infestation in the
attic. According to the show, she visited an eye doctor who said
"I can see histo scarring in your eyes, you've probably had contact
with bat feces."
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est
It\'s not just anyone who gets a Starship Cruiser class named after them.
Also, there is no asbestos in linoleum. As far as your ducts go, exactly
where and in what form was the "asbestos"? As far as fear goes, would it
help to know that asbestos doesn't cut down people like the grim reaper's
scythe? That it takes years of heavy, pretty much continuous exposure to
loose particles to be detrimental (if then)?
Yes, I think the standard name around Baltimore is "vinyl linoleum".
It didnt' take me long to learn that the word linoleum there only
means that it comes in wide sheets, unlike vinyl tile that comes in
12" or 9" squares.
However I don't think vinyl anything contains asbestos anymore. When
did the OP's floor go in.
There used to be something called asbestos tile, and I'm pretty sure
that contained asbestos.
He is correct - there was a Tile, much like todays vinyl self adhesive
tiles that were put down, extremely durable and usually used for
commercial use. They did contain asbestos!
To the best of my knowledge, it was never used in sheet vinyl type
flooring materials, just in the tiles.
As for asbestos in the home, the potential harm comes from the
particles floating in the air and being breathed into the lungs and
getting stuck there. This only happens while it is being disturbed.
Once the asbestos was cleaned out by the abatement company, and then
followed by a HEPA cleaning of the home, there should not be anything
more than the equivalent of standard dusts in the home. Relax, you and
your family will be just fine..... you found a problem, you've solved
the problem, now, sit back relax and enjoy your home and family...!
Yes, you do! Make an appointment with a psychologist immediately. The
asbestos is not a big deal, and you are making one out of it.
Now, what to do about the asbestos:
Asbestos is dangerous when inhaled. It gets into the air usually during
construction or demolition, and looks like dust or little slivers of light
floating. Once the dust settles, it just sits there until disturbed.
Hiring a cleaning crew would be the best thing. After they remove any loose
dust, the rest will go away as you wash clothes, dust things, etc. Get a
couple of good air purifiers, as they are just a good thing anyway to remove
dust and pollen.
You had a small bathroom rebuilt. If you had your living, dining, and
family rooms and hallway all worked on, I would be a little more concerned.
You are wise to be careful. But just have it cleaned, go see your shrink
and find out why you reacted so strongly, and don't worry because it's not
really a big deal.
Your behavior is a tipoff. This time it is a little asbestos. Next time it
will be whatever is on Oprah or 48 hours, or whatever.
Be sure, be safe. But you have a much higher chance of an airliner falling
on your house than getting significant asbestos exposure from a house built
in the 70s.
That can be taken various ways. First, relax. If you ever thought you
were perfectly secure, it ain't so.
USCG has done and published many studies on the dangers of asbestos.
Distilled: particles from about 1/2 to about 1.5 micron across can get
into the lungs and not be expelled. To be exposed to much of that, you
need to be breaking up dry asbestos. Simple water spray reduces
concentration of such particles to zero. Again, relax. You're going to
die from something, and it should be enjoyable, not result from
On 6/15/06 9:41 AM, in article
You have to realize that there is an asbestos-industrial complex making
money off of scared people. Most of the danger homeowners face from asbestos
will come from stirring it up. Give up smoking, and most of hazard will
disappear right off the bat. The people most harmed by asbestos are those
who smoked those little cigars that they had for lighting welding torches.
Moreover, there are two forms of asbestos that were used most. About 80% is
of a type that is rather benign compared to the other one. The type can
easily be determined looking at a fiber of the material under a polarizing
microscope. My suggestion is don't worry.
Next, it is time to pooh pooh the radon-industrial complex.
-- Ferme le Bush
The NEXT biggie will be treated wood with guys in moon suits removing
Heck the feds are mandating scrubbers on bakeries because the smell of
bread baking is supoposedly dangerous..........
Anyone who smokes today is a complete fool
HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here.
All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.