Is this varshish still good?

I painted my entry door (heavy mahogany) 12 years ago with 6 layers of Behr spar varnish. Now its time to give it a new coat.

I have quite a bit of the varnish left over from 12 years ago. The can was well sealed and it is still has the same consistency. The stuff is expensive. Can I use the old stuff or should I bite the bullet and buy a new can?

Reply to
Walter R.

Brush some on something. Does it dry OK? IOW....duh

Reply to
dadiOH

Yeah, but just because it dries well does not mean it will last for more than a week. What are the innate characteristics of 12 year old paint or varnish? Do you use paint that old for your projects?

Reply to
Walter R.

I do. Especially if it's an oil.

Reply to
3rd eye

Over the years they've made lots of changes in paints. I'd wager the majority of them were due to environmental controls.

I'd use it. And dadioh's advise about drying is'nt a bad idea

Reply to
3rd eye

Reply to
bamboo

But I wouldn't inhale too much of the solvent: varshish may be good, but hashish better for that purpose.

Reply to
Sev