very low voltage -- dangerous?

Ever hear of a "Vacuum Tube Volt Meter"? ;-)

Reply to
krw

Hmmm, If you know VTVM, you must be an old fart, LOL! I still have one and it works 100%.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

I once tried a neon test meter and it was even worse. It *constantly* read voltage when it was just stray fields through insulation. I ended up setting up a test light using the light fixture I was in the process of installing. A 60W test light.

A better solution would be to slap a 5K resistor across the probes of the meter. Do the math to make sure that it won't smoke at line voltages. (W=E^2/R)

Reply to
AZ Nomad