Valve Washer

I'm having a hard time trying to change this spigot washer. I thought if I would just remove the "C" nut I would be able to remove the valve and change the washer inside. I posted a labled picture on flickr. Any advice would be great.

Someguy469

You're probably going to have to heat it with a torch. It might be best to remove it from the pipe nipple and put it in a bench vice. You could replace it with a new one cheaper than going through all the trouble to repair what you have unless you're very fond of the old one. :-)

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Remove the "B". The "C" is the packing gland which keeps water from coming out at the stem.

Hank

Reply to
Hank

Thanks!

Reply to
Someguy469

SG-

As per the other posts, you have to unscrew at "B" to replace the valve washer. On old faucets, that joint is VERY difficult to break loose.

I have two faucets sitting on my work bench, waiting to me to get more ambitious.

So far, I have been unable to disassemble them. :(

I gave up & bought new faucets.

cheers Bob

Reply to
DD_BobK

Second that. I replaced one and was so delighted I replaced four more.

Reply to
HeyBub

glegroups.com...

These are very heavy duty industrial units, the one's where the washer doesn't turn with the valve stem. Meant to be mounted on a vertical pipe and have the hose connection angled down.

These are not "Made in China" junk.

IF I do give up on them, currently, they're in the "gonna get around to it later" bin, they'd go into the scrap brass bucket not the trash.

cheers Bob

Reply to
DD_BobK

On 12/19/2010 4:25 AM The Daring Dufas spake thus:

"Bench vice"? What are you, British?

Didn't think so.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

I just reloaded my dictionary program cuz eye caynt spel sumtymes. :-) I have a lot of fun mixing and matching different spellings of common words to add a bit of "colour" to my posts. Heck I have some ancestors from England. I think some of the ancestors from my ancient ancestors The Cavebillies may have come from England, Cavelimeys I think they were called. :-)

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

On 12/19/2010 10:45 PM The Daring Dufas spake thus:

You mean the Hatfields and the Plimsoll-Fauntleroys?

Reply to
David Nebenzahl