Using stunnel

I use Microplanet Gravity and it posts to groups fine. But emailing is a problem. Pouring over the docs it seems that I need to run stunnel or OpenSSL for it to connect through to the mail server. Can anyone guide me through this?

Reply to
Tekkie©

Sorry - can't help with your software - just wonder if you have compelling reason to stick with it ? I've used Forte Agent < & Free Agent > since forever and never had any problems. albeit for usenet only not for email. John T.

Reply to
hubops

On Tue, 17 Nov 2020 16:12:52 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@ccanoemail.ca posted for all of us to digest...

It's just that I like it for news and if I read a post and want to email it's a pain to open another program. It used to work before Comcast screwed with it.

Thanks anyway.

Reply to
Tekkie©

Thunderbird? The one thing I don't like about it is the font size. I guess it's possible to change it but it takes a bunch of steps. The easiest trick is to pretend to follow up a post then discard it.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

Yup. I'm quite sure that Agent does email - but I can't verify how good it is. I'd be surprised if it was poor .. John T.

Reply to
hubops

Isn't there a newer version of Gravity that knows how to use TLS or SSL? Probably not or you woudn't have asked this very question.

I don't use Microplanet, and I don't use Agent for receiving mail, so I don't know what its setup pages look like, but generally To use stunnel, first download and install it. Unless maybe you can say no, it will make itself a service that will run when windows starts. Uses next to no resources so no problem. (If somehow it's not a service, you can put a link to it in the windows startup directory, or you can even start it by hand by clicking on its icon, a black circle with a grey circle inside sitting on the floor, with a white circle inside that.)

In the Micro settings you want to replace the name of the smtp server with 127.0.0.1 , which means, Look within this computer, not elsewhere.

Then in the stunnel configuration file, stunnel.conf , there is already asection set up for gmail. Are you using gmail? If not, copy that section and change what you need.

A typical pair of secdtions is [pop3] client=yes delay=yes accept = 127.0.0.1:110 connect = pop.verizon.net:995

[smtp] client=yes delay=yes protocol = smtp accept = 127.0.0.1:25 connect = smtp.verizon.net:465

The client and delay lines were not there 20 years ago, and might not be needed for every server, but keep them.

The accept lines connect stunnel to Microplanet, which if has never been set up for encryption fetches mail on port 110 and sends on port 25. If there is a place in MicroG to say whether to use TLS etc. change it to none or never, but there probably won't be or you woudn't need stunnel. Encryption is handled by stunnel, not by MicroG.

Stunnel changes those ports to the ones in the connect lines, and the connect lines connect stunnel to the servers. You put the server name you had been using in Micro, followed by a colon, followed the port number that Micro wants now, probably 995 for fetching, and either 587 (the submission port) or 465, (the usual port)

If you're not sure, you can look in whatever you are using for other email. Thunderbird, for example, will look at the server names you provide and look in some charge some where and it comes back with 465 or

587. Use the same number.

(I'm not saying the settings above will work for verizon. I simplified the numbers.)

In a file like that, lines starting with semicolons are comments.

You can edit the conf file directly, or since stunnel can run without being set up correctly, when it's running, you can right click on the stunnel icon in the systray, and choose edit configuration. After you make changes, for them to take effect, you have to right click again and choose Reload Configuration. You don't have to close the edit window when you do this.

If this is not enough, post back.

The first common versions of Agent,v0.99 and 1.93, requires stunnel to send or receive email with most email servers. I'm not sure what verions added encryption.

Reply to
micky

That the server wants now.

In some list.

And you don't have to close stunnel or anything else if you use Reload.

Reply to
micky

You CAN set Agent up for email too - I don't and haven't - but it is designed to handle both

Reply to
Clare Snyder

On Tue, 17 Nov 2020 17:07:10 -0600, Dean Hoffman posted for all of us to digest...

No Microplanet Gravity... I don't use Tbird for news groups

Reply to
Tekkie©

On Tue, 17 Nov 2020 20:43:25 -0500, micky posted for all of us to digest...

Thanks Micky, I'll be posting back I'm sure. Very detail instructions. I just like Microplanet Gravity so much. Give me some time and I will let you know.

Reply to
Tekkie©

Well Micky here is my config file It sits there for a minute or so then craps out. Man, I haven't thought so hard in a long time. I am giving up for today. I changed your original verizon one to comcast but it came back with an error that it was too open & available to hacks. Also how do I kill it other than task manager. I also don't know how to change the conf file it uses.

[smtp] client = yes accept = 127.0.0.1:25 connect = smtp.comcast.net:465 verifyChain = yes CAfile = ca-certs.pem checkHost = smtp.comcast.net OCSPaia = yes
Reply to
Tekkie

elnet smtp.comcast.net 587 Trying 2001:558:fe16:1b::16... Connected to smtp.comcast.net. Escape character is '^]'.

220 resomta-po-04v.sys.comcast.net resomta-po-04v.sys.comcast.net ESMTP server ready ehlo 501 EHLO requires valid address

I don't know if it helps but 587 is the common port for TLS SMTP servers. If I telnet to 465 I don't get a response. If I had a valid address EHLO would present the banner of capabilities including STARTTLS to negotiate an encrypted session.

Reply to
rbowman